The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Radio Five To Axe Racing News

Home Forums Horse Racing Radio Five To Axe Racing News

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

The two daily racing bulletins on Radio 5 – the 2 minutes to 7am slot and the 1 minute slot after the 8.30 news and sport headlines, are to be axed as a "costcutting" exercise, the RP reports today.

While I’m the first to criticise Luke Harvey’s often amateurish and giggle-riddden reports, this really is dire news. Why can’t they get an in-house reporter to do it? (Although the existing occasional stand-in, one John Myers, is even more incompetent). Then there wouldn’t be any extra costs to need cutting.

Presumably this extra 3 minutes will be taken up with even more inane football chat by the nauseating Nicky Campbell.

cheltboy
    • Total Posts 129

<br>They’re cutting all over the place on five  live to save cash for other sports rights.  Every programme is having to axe something to save cash.

Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I don’t know what it is about Luke Harvey but when I listen to him, nice chap though he undoubtedly is, I feel an uncontrollable urge to pull all my hair out and scream at the top of my voice. As I am usually driving at the time, this has road safety implications.

I’m fairly sure I can struggle by without my daily update on Tony McCoy’s breakfast arrangements or the news that the odds-on shot in a 3 runner novice chase ‘has a good chance’.

And that Cornelius Lysaght gets on my tits as well. (The tits reference, is just for you, David Brady)

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>I don’t bother with 5Live anymore or radio for that matter but it’s just another sign of the BBC’s dreadful commitment to racing.

When you look at the TV coverage (or lack of it these days) it would be understandable if racing made way for Prem football or Test cricket but when it’s gymnastics, bowls & rowing, you just lose the will to live really….

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Certainly the BBC have reduced their coverage and commitment to racing.<br>Radio 5 and its predecessors used to carry racing results until a few years ago but ceased and referred people to Ceefax. In fairness the surfeit of racing may have something to do with that.<br>Radio 5 is of course due to relocate to Manchester so the cost cutting may have something to do with the set up costs. That said, banal as Harvey’s short contributions are in the mornings, I wouldn’t have thought they were that costly to produce.<br>Guess radio listeners are left with only commentaries on a few big races.<br>As regards TV coverage, think we’ll find that with last week’s final demise of Grandstand, there won’t be 6 hours continuous or recorded coverage required and the minority sport "padders" will be ditched. <br>Of course the BBC long lost the rights to F1, live Premiership football, cricket etc. and expressed themselves disappointed with the recent rise in TV licences.<br>Expect it to cherry pick those sports it can secure coverage of e.g. 6 Nations rugby and fill the gaps with non sports programes.<br>Also expect incessant build up to the London Olympics. <br>BBC TV would do themselves favours and cut costs by getting rid of much of the fat in their bloated sports coverage- teams of pundits on football matches and literally planeloads of presenters and other staff at the recent football World Cup.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Surely the move to Manchester is designed to cut costs?

Agree about the junketing at the World Cup, it was a scandalous waste of licencepayers money. Was there any BBC journalist who didn’t go?

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Can’t they just cut Nicky Campbell?  I would be more inclined to listen then.

Pegwell Bay
    • Total Posts 208

Never mind, there’s still Thommo’s morning reports on Talksport.

Hee Hee Hee! :rolleyes:

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4562

Why don’t they just go the whole hog and axe Five Live? It would save a fortune.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

In response to the original post………….will anyone notice?

No interest in racing at the BBC, so it seems, but just watch at Aintree and Ascot……………they’ll want to be all over it like a rash and want to run the whole bloody shebang.

Without the smaller meetings , Ascot and Aintree will disappear.

Are these the same people who made the decision to give Audrey Harrison £10 million for exclusive rights to his "fights???":biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: .??

I could think of somewhere to start making cost-cuts!!

Colin

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

A further sign that racing is being ghettosied

5 live has weekly programmes on Boxing (who watches that these days?) and the ludicrous hyped rubbish that is formula one. I would guess that neither of these sports has the following that racing does and anyway, what is there to say about Formula one for half an hour anyway?

Racing is not seen as politically correct i would guess and you can just feel the likes of Peter allen and Jane Garvey sneering away at any coverage….

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

……..it doesn’t stop them having a day out at Royal Ascot, Clive………………when we are paying of course!!:angry:

Colin

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>It’s also a stone cold certainty that it won’t stop them being all over the Fallon court case likes flies round a dungheap.

AP

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Harrison’s contract with the BBC was 1million pounds for his first 10 fights, not 10 million.

cheltboy
    • Total Posts 129

AP.  If they’re not all over the Fallon case then should be a stewards’ inquiry.   <br>The cost cutting is all to do with paying for the coverage of the cricket and rugby world cups.  It’s not just racing that’s being cut, news is taking hits across the output.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.