The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing this week

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing this week

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    BUD
    • Total Posts 98

Could anybody give me the abbreviated version of racing for the upcoming week-Sunday Our Horse racing Channel is showing Curragh.. Is there anything special happening there? I know ATR that I have on the Laptop is showing Ascot.

Also exactly what transpires at Galloway week? Is it all Hurdles?

Any Help for this confused wanna be Punter?

Thanks in advance.

A side note-I hade UK racing on the computer US racing on the Tele-My Child after watching the UK racing-She didn’t know it as UK racing–She said daddy the racing on your computer is wayyyyy more interesting than whats on TV.

Pretty funny coming from a babe. Thanks

gumshield
    • Total Posts 119

Hi Bud,

There is something special happening this week: it’s Glorious Goodwood.

Top-class Flat racing in deepest Sussex. Highlights include the Group 1 Sussex Stakes and one of the most exciting handicaps of the Flat season, the Stewards’ Cup.

The location is dramatic, second only in Britain to Hexham, and if the weather’s fine the upper classes of both sexes wear panama hats.

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

You got me to laugh out loud!

seeing that this is my first cycle thru with you lads–I don’t know what week to week brings-

”Mate a Heiffer” Wouldn’t sound as good with my Boston Italian Accent..

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Wanted to write this, and thought this was just as good a place as any to dump it.

I’m very interested in today’s Ascot meeting being shown on BBC Interactive (aka the Red Button).

I’m thinking that with no adverts, no other interruptions, and the recognition that it is being aimed at a minority, interested audience, that we will get racing coverage of the past, with plenty of coverage of the horses in the Parade Ring and going down to post.

A bit unusual that the main race of the day is the last one though. (We’re used to the main race being the 3rd or 4th on the card, Bud.)

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

If you’re going to be foolhardy enough to bet at Glorious Goodwood Bud, in the races 1m-1m2f you tend to need horses that run prominently and are drawn near the rail (HIGH).

If I’m wrong, will someone please point this out before Tuesday. :lol:

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Bud, Galway (in North-West of Ireland) is a fantastic festival meeting famous for great racing and super hospitality – especially the oysters.

Every day has a mixture of flat, hurdles and chasing – for many the highlight being the Galway Plate (a steeplechase).

Dermot Weld and Pat Smullen (on the flat) are the combination to be feared and Dermot would also spring a winner or two over jumps.

Keep an eye on Art Market in a race there on Monday night (our time).

amicus.equus
    • Total Posts 2

Anyone travelling to Ireland for the Galway races should note that Galway is in the West of Ireland. Small point but those without satnav’s might stray

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

It must be remembered that in terms of UK racing Goodwood is just a backdrop to the real racing at Perth, Worcester, Stratford and Bangor on the first four days :wink:

More seriously, although expensive, I cannot think of a more delightful place to be on a summers afternoon than Goodwood.

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

Thanks Folks!!

I Love the Exp of everything being new-Again Wish I had better health I’d take a holiday out there visits some chaps and see these places with my eyes not just via the internet.

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

Monday Morning the choices I have are either Southwell or Yarmouth

In the Aft I want to check out Galway. Its too bad in my short time I have had pretty good sucsess @ Windsor.

-Maybe someone can give me a heads up to what is better preferred

morning in America
    Southwell Yarmouth
    Afternoon
    Galway
    Windsor
    Uttoxeter
    I am just learning my way around-Having a good time while I’m at it- Not wagering much–Remember I am fully disabled so this becomes my Sport-Unfortunately–But I try to make the best of what I have–Thanks folks for all the input. Every little bit helps..

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

If truth be told, Bud, Galway is primarily a drinking festival with a bit of racing tacked on. And most of that racing is low-standard dross ( £12,000 handicaps.).
    And only in Galway wil you find more gambling priests gathered together outside a Father Ted episode.

Goodwood is where the decent racing is at during the coming week.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I’ve just had a look.

Southwell is All-Weather, on Fibresand. You’ll probably know whether you like racing there already.

The Yarmouth card is very poor – there are 5 class 6 races on the card.

Can’t you skip those two meetings, and do a bit of form studying or pedigree research for Galway and Windsor, and for Goodwood on Tuesday (including three Group races).

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

If truth be told, Bud, Galway is primarily a drinking festival with a bit of racing tacked on. And most of that racing is low-standard dross ( £12,000 handicaps.).
    And only in Galway wil you find more gambling priests gathered together outside a Father Ted episode.

Goodwood is where the decent racing is at during the coming week.

Can’t dispute anything you’ve said about Galway.

Hate the hype and bullsh1te that surrounds the festival there. Its always been just an excuse for a pish up. No harm in that but its far from the quality racing that some would have you believe.

Dislike the track at Ballybrit as well. I think Ted Walsh said once that if you can throw a fifty punt note into the fire and watch it burn than you’re ready to bet at Galway!

Much prefer Listowel in September myself. The reduced 5 days of all national hunt cards last year was excellent.

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

I’ve just had a look.

Southwell is All-Weather, on Fibresand. You’ll probably know whether you like racing there already.

The Yarmouth card is very poor – there are 5 class 6 races on the card.

Can’t you skip those two meetings, and do a bit of form studying or pedigree research for Galway and Windsor, and for Goodwood on Tuesday (including three Group races).

Thanks for the great feedback-Gives me good direction. That is 1/4 of the battle- THANKS..
    just checked what they offer for tuesday-Galway Wocester and Perth–Never heard of Perth until right now??Since I live in Worcester Stateside–The water issue they had actually made our news.
    Thanks-All the advice help is really appreciated.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

I sometimes wonder if the class or snobbish element comes into being with Goodwood, more particularly with regard to being there.

Yes, it is high quality racing but in my opinion, unless you’re in a private box you’d be better off watching it on the telly.

I made the mistake of going there once to watch Cesare lose and after getting over the exorbitant price (about $50 at the time) on the gate I was rather surprised I could see nothing at all due to the greedy gits letting in about ten thousand too many people, which rather surprised me considering I was told it was a wonderfully picturesque course with great views. Presumably, the great views were from the top of the stands.

I thought I’d stick with the plan though and try to get involved so I tried to order a drink, some food and put a bet on, but I could find nowhere without a queue at least a dozen deep and decided I wouldn’t bother as I went to watch racing, not someone’s back.

However, when I went to watch the race I realised that when your standing in the middle of a crowd of thousands of clueless hat wearing twats all screaming "who won that, who won that" that you can actually see feck all, even from a stand.

After missing the first couple of races in this fashion, I realised Cesare would lose as the day was already crap and he duly obliged to get beat.

I asked one of the gatemen for a taxi number, phoned a cab and got the heck out of there probably having seen and understood more than ninety percent of the pillocks in there.

Great racing, rubbish event, in the middle of bloody nowhere, hours from London.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

Never heard of Perth until right now??

BUD

‘Tis the finest racecourse in the whole of the country. Located in the magnificent surroundings of Scone Palace and giving competitive jump racing from April through to September.

Rob

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

Never heard of Perth until right now??

BUD

‘Tis the finest racecourse in the whole of the country. Located in the magnificent surroundings of Scone Palace and giving competitive jump racing from April through to September.

Rob

Thanks-Learning something everyday!!

I will be watching with great interest.
    As for SBerry-I was with Duel Crutches- I am a Very large musclular type-I was at the track-You think anyone gave a coutesy? Nope-Knocked over twice.Then I almost came to fists with a fella-Never went back-Now I would require a wheel chair-I would hate to see my chances then-Sorry about your bad experience–I can relate–The US Races on the Tele are fine for me-Thanks folks–as I said I’m learning everyday!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.