The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing Post

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing Post

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

What have the Racing Post given us to warrant yet another price rise?

The paper made 17million in 2005 and 1st half year profits in 2006 were a healthy 6.9million and this was when it was in opposition with the Sportsman.

Is it all down to ‘Sly’ Bailey and her plan to make the paper as much money as possible before she attempts to sell it off?<br>

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Yes I noticed this too. Its because they saw the rivals off and you have no option but to go without if you don’t buy it.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 676

It may only have been a 10p rise, but for me it was the straw that broke the camels back.  <br>£1.20- £1.30- £1.40 – £1.50 in a not a great deal of time.<br>There are only two days a week when I buy it now.<br>Getting used to using the website rather than flicking through the pages. <br>I`m not missing it at all.  <br>

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Can’t wait to see the threads when they start charging for the website.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I wonder if they will…

newspaper websites are seen as shop windows for the main product (and the industry too) and whilst free, will pick up much stronger advertising revenues.

but it is a remarkably good resource….

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I mentioned that before DJ (when the "my ratings" function was introduced) but wit mentioned something about the RP then being charged for the data they currently get for free or something along those lines. Perhaps he can shed some further light on it.

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

That’s a lot…I remember when it was just 80p!

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 676

Can’t wait to see the threads when they start charging for the website.

Maybe so dj,<br>I have been a daily user of the post in the past, I have kicked it into touch because of the price hike. <br>True, they have a monopoly, but they are not making  a profit from me anymore.<br>

quixallcrossettquixallcrossett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 358

Down to just a Saturday for me now, and The Weekender midweek, they really are starting to take the mickey!

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

True Grass…

and they would have me over a barrel there…unfortunately.

as for the £1.50? has any other paper (or magazine?) risen in price so quickly over past ten years?

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

What would you consider a fair price? As £1.50 has evinced such a reaction . . . ?:o

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 676

e·vince  (-vns)<br>tr.v. e·vinced, e·vinc·ing, e·vinc·es <br>To show or demonstrate clearly; manifest: evince distaste by grimacing.<br> <br>I grimaced and gurned when I saw the price and gave the aforementioned  paper back to the counter Maid and declared "once, twice, thrice they haith raised the price no more, no more!!" I said.<br>Ok no I didnt say that, but you get the picture.<br>The lady in the paper shop always used to call it the financial times because of the price.  

Its not as if its in a price war with anyone is it?

ninahagen4ninahagen4
    Participant
    • Total Posts 121

£1 would be a fair price as I am sure there are large amounts of the paper that each of us dont read.

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

Is that strictly speaking the RP’s fault, though?

That’s like moaning that the TV licence is too expensive because you only watch documentaries about polar bears.

But at least you supplied a relatively constructive answer . . .

(Edited by Lincoln Duncan at 6:11 pm on Jan. 30, 2007)

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

I have a vested interest as I work for said rag but what difference does ten pence make? Would you stop going to your local pub if the beer went up from £2.80 to £3.00? I’d probably have a moan, within earshot of the landlord, then shout "same again please!".

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.