The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing Post

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing Post

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

Are squeezing even harder to get this 250 quid a year of anyone who wants to view their website.

I went to have a quick look at the statistics to see when Ruby first started riding and lo and behold members only.

They are either sponsored by Bookies or charge them advertising fees so why charge the racing public?

The Sporting life and ATR charge nothing except for viewing races which is acceptable.

Fine if they want to charge for live racing or downloading their newspaper but charging for info that is available elsewhere for free is a joke.

Does anyone actually pay these mofos apart from the professional musts?

TheBluesBrother
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1079

I only pay £104.04p per year and I can read the statistics page alright.

Rupert "Ruby" Walsh won the Irish amateur title twice, in 1996/7 (aged 18) and 1997/8, before turning professional. 8)

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

The only ‘pay for’ feature I actually use is the storage of My Ratings. (They only made this feature ‘pay for’ last week). It is slightly galling having to shell out to have a gander at your own ratings. :)

Of course access to the database would be worth every penny, but it happens to still be free.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

The pedigree section of the horse’s form is now also members only. I noticed the stats had gone the same way last week. The previous horse form and stallion info are the only things I use the RP website for, The Racing Post never was much of a paper, they had a brief period when they inherited some of the Life’s quality, but they have managed to sift through that and with the retirement of David Ashforth, the publication became eminently unreadable.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Eventually they’ll kill the game

I reduced betting on horses by about 85-90% when they first started charging. Admittedly I’m a grumpy miserly oul so-and-so but there can’t be too many behind me in terms of not being prepared to pay.

Lone Wolf
    • Total Posts 614

I don’t buy anything from them either. From what i understand they hiked up the fee as they are now forcing people to pay for replays. Those replays can be had for free elsewhere. I bought the paper edition once or twice, and it had more advertisments than a yellow pages. After 5 minutes of reading it i began to look for a book called fly fishing by J R Hartley.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

The pedigree section of the horse’s form is now also members only. I noticed the stats had gone the same way last week. The previous horse form and stallion info are the only things I use the RP website for, The Racing Post never was much of a paper, they had a brief period when they inherited some of the Life’s quality, but they have managed to sift through that and with the retirement of David Ashforth, the publication became eminently unreadable.

To be honest during racing I never look at their website and find the Sporting Life race presentation much better if a bit slow at times. The Post does give you fuller form in the sense if a horse has raced in another country or in some P2P but I can live without that.

Amazed to hear they are charging for replays they must take punters for complete mugs or there is a plan afoot for all sites to start doing the same????

I suppose their long term plan is to scrap the newspaper completely and have everyone running around with Laptops to read form. They’d be worth fortunes if they could scrap the paper and just supply the info at a charge on the web. Could be a good time for you young guys to buy shares in the Racing Post :idea:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.