The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing Documentaries on Irish TV this week

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing Documentaries on Irish TV this week

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    apalachee
    Participant
    • Total Posts 64

A great evening’s entertainment on RTE television on Monday evening last(6/7/09) with two back- to-back racing documentaries.

"The Master of Ballydoyle" a documentary on Vincent O’Brien made in 1974, sometime after brilliant 2-year olds of 1973, Apalachee and Cellini, had been beaten in the English and Irish 2000 Guineas respectively.

"Hector at Ballydoyle" follows Hector Ó’hEochagáin hanging out with Aidan O’Brien at Ballydoyle in the buid up to the Breeder’s Cup last year. Some good footage of the BC weekend at Santa Anita with Henrythenavigator, Duke of Marmalade, Soldier of Fortune et al . For those of you across the water who haven’t come across Hector before – you’re in for a treat.

You can watch these online at this link. I hope it works outside Ireland??
    http://www.rte.ie/player/#s=latest&g=2009-07-06

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Fraid not :(

We’re sorry but RTÉ player is currently only available to viewers in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Try this link for the Hector one (might work overseas):
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/christmas/hangingwithhector_av.html

Couldn’t find another link for the Master of Ballydoyle doc. Didn’t bother to record it as I thought it would just be another doc on Aidan. :oops:

The bit I caught of it was fascinating. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it turning up on youtube in a few weeks.

curragh
    • Total Posts 27

I watched Hector at Balldoyle. Interesting doc. However I did think Hector was a bit of an annoying git. Aidan O’Brien, Murtagh and the staff were very friendly and accommodating throughout. Perhaps he (Hector) was the reason the horses didn’t pass the post first. Was Hector the Jonah?

On another thread I read criticisms of Murtagh’s riding and attitude at the Breeders Cup. I saw no evidence in interviews of a jockey who wasn’t interested and feel he and AOB are victims of their own success. Having swept all before them in Europe, they failed to win in America and thus people sarted picking holes in their riding ability, their tactics and attitude. They did have three secconds, (2 lost by inches) Considering the long season and the long journey to Santa Anita I think they did very well. Westphalia 2nd, Heart shaped 2nd, Soldier of Fortune 3rd and Henry The Navigator 2nd(over 1m 2.on dirt. Multiple Grp 1 winner over 1m on turf)

Overall a very good documentary and one in which the team at Ballydoyle came out of with a lot of credit.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1922

Managed to view both fine here,thanks for putting up the links.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.