The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racecourse profiteering

Home Forums Horse Racing Racecourse profiteering

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

£6.40 for a pint of Arkle Ale from the excellent Arkells Brewery at Cheltenham.

After Aintree last week that almost feels like a bargain!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

£6.80 for a pint of lager in Trent Bridge.

Bad luck on the poor fellow who had a cricket ball land in his pint after a batsman hit a six, sending it everywhere. Looks like he had hardly taken a sip out of it.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Only ever been to Trent Bridge once – my Dad took me so I could see Gary Sobers bat (John Player League Sunday match Nottinghamshire hosting Lancashire) that shows how long ago it was.

Clive Lloyd broke a pavilion window hitting a six.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Top class international players appearing in County Cricket.

Those were the days!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

They really were and the sad thing is, like a lot in racing, I considered it an eternal norm that would last forever.

Nottinghamshire won, btw – despite a whirlwind century from Lloyd, in a rain-affected match Sobers effortlessly took his side to victory by a superior run rate, hitting an exquisite, swashbuckling, straight drive over long off/extra cover for six along the way.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

Oh yes them were the days. Remember Richards/Botham at Bradford PA back in the 80s having a competition to see who could hit it over the pavilion roof in a JPL match. Fortunately for Yorkshire but not the neutrals they were both out for about 40 apiece.

Although of course no top overseas players for Yorkshire back in those days.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Actually cork glamorgan have the worlds number one rated batsman in county cricket this year and there is the excellent crop of Pakistan players too across the circuit

Recently retired internationals such as amla at surrey are here too. And Kemah roach until his injury

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Yes, they do – but central contracts, a packed international schedule and the IPL have inevitably had an impact on the County Championship.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

No point in living in the past but point is that the overseas players are still quality. One example, Peter siddle has been superb here for a few years now too.

The loss of the kolpacks hasn’t been ideal though. Many were very good value

There are plenty of good homegrown players coming through and rather see that myself than too many overseas players. Surreys squad is thriving

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

And the past being refered to is 40 years ago. Same distance as that time was from the Second World War

Also county cricket was the ridiculous 3 day games then and the 40 over matches were not taken in the slightest bit seriously. Standard well below todays t20

Certainly don’t miss that stupid declaration batting in the cc too. Many grounds were shitholes too. The oval was almost collapsing. Even lords had that horrible old grandstand

No floodlights too and umpires dragging teams off when there was one cloud in a blue sky too

Ive got a mate who permenantly lives in the past on everything. God he’s boring

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“No floodlights too and umpires dragging teams off when there was one cloud in a blue sky too.”

That was annoying. I was at Lord’s one day and they must have gone off three times for “bad light” when military medium pacers were bowling. At least they can put the lights on now.

The County Championship will die out in the next twenty years, maybe sooner. Whenever I go to Old Trafford, it is about the only place where I feel young nowadays!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

You would like Trent Bridge, Clive. There is a Wetherspoons attached to it. 😉

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

3000 at a cc match at the oval a few weeks back and all ages. That’s more than I used to see.

And it’s just not true because you need the cc for tests and they aren’t going anywhere soon. Look at last weeks at lords. Brilliant match.

I’m at Trent bridge tomorrow as it happens

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“You need the cc for tests and they aren’t going anywhere soon.”

But they play so much of the CC in April, May and September. Not sure how that is helping Tests.

During the coverage today, when Mike Atherton was asked what England could do to find some better spinners, he answered “Play some first class cricket in summer.”

Dream on, Athers.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

That’s changed this season. Keep up!

Not enough at all but there are proper summer fixtures now

I’m at Taunton monday (I’m on a roll) and cc at the oval in a couple of weeks as well as mid July

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

But although he right it’s better this than none

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

A very small amount of fixtures but about two thirds of the CC is squeezed into the start and finish of the season, with the weather being a real issue towards the end.

I have booked to see Lancashire v Somerset at Southport next month. Lancashire’s fixtures work far better on the outgrounds.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.