The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racecourse profiteering

Home Forums Horse Racing Racecourse profiteering

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“Surely there’s a decent chippy in Liverpool!”

You will be surprised. I am struggling to think of one.

My local chip shop closed for a refurbishment just before the first lockdown. It has not reopened. I saw its owner recently. He said it is still in business but the refurbishment is not complete yet.

Two years to refurbish a chippy? This had better be the best one in the world when it finally reopens!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Maybe they could refurbish it as a, err, curry house?

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Ben

Not sure where you’re coming from there. Seashell in Lisson grove as well as a few others in London are as good as anything from the coast. I use the pier in Richmond it’s nearly £20 but the cod is exquisite (and its not even my fav fish) being apparently small size from peterhead. It makes a big big difference and you pay for what you get

Oh and you always see Bruce Welch from the Shadows there. He’s a really nice bloke too

Fish and chips is pretty much the only take away I bother with.

Participant
    • Total Posts 730

If you want a decent chippy, it’s a small trip from Aintree, but The Swan in Southport; Stanley Street.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Fish and Chip prices have gone up because of the war. Can’t remember exactly what the problem is but something to do with what they need for the oil. Lot of it came from either Ukraine or Russia. Demand is up so am afraid prices are up. Added to that your London mark up Ben.

I’m with you Clive, it is the only take away I buy.

Sir Cherry,
    Chip shops do vary, you may not have found a good one. Nothing beats a good cod and chips. Well.may be a good roast (well done) with lashings of mint. Great British food. :good:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Gingertipster,
    Don’t forget you still owe me fish and chips … :whistle:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Cancello
    Participant
    • Total Posts 268

All food and drink was card payment only – this happened on Becher day but I was under the impression that it was done for Covid reasons. This has been brought in through the back door and I’m guessing it’s now the norm at all courses that are part of the Jockey Club portfolio. It takes the choice of personal touch away and I can’t see many tipping via a card. I would also expect one or two pensioners being to have been caught out by this.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I’m the same, don’t buy food or drink at the course
    My hiding place between two food vans at Cheltenham was tempting as the smell was wonderful. The price though wouldn’t tempt me and that is before the looking at the mile long queue.
    I did find myself starring into the bin for a few seconds and time stood still. Possibly another reason for why I was “acting suspicious” :rose:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 1508

They used to call me a skip diver at work, amazing what useful things you find in them.

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    Participant
    • Total Posts 959

It was card payments for the race cards as well Cancello which meant the queues were bigger than you would normally see.

I agree, I think racecourses and caterers will be more than happy to have less cash to deal with.

Just a shame the bookies were more than happy to take my notes yesterday 😉

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

What we need to do is get some sort of covert TRF Delivered Takeaway racket going.

Hotel/pub chain menu food is the pits, especially any dismal curry attempts, and not even cheap, so we all order a delivered Indian then hang around outside the entrance with big black hold alls to put the food in when it arrives before legging it to our rooms to eat.

Ravenous after no food at the races all day, a decent “Ruby” will taste like manna from Heaven and absolute fortunes saved.

You know it makes sense.

Cancello
    Participant
    • Total Posts 268

Costly day for me too Patriot – was with two drinking buds who are non racing fans ( as much as I’ve tried!) so done something I don’t normally do on course – drink all day!
    Aspalls cider a steal at £ 7.20 per pint haha

Participant
    • Total Posts 959

Will we see you on this years Dragons Den Ian?

I’ll take 10% for a quarter of my winnings today :good:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Nah, trying to persuade others of anything has never been my thing and isn’t what I’m about.

I’ll be going it alone – no start-up costs with this one, anyway!

Jaywalker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27

” My local chip shop closed for a refurbishment just before the first lockdown .”
    Would that be Chris’s Chippy Rose Lane ?

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Ginge, I prefer Hake to Cod but it has become something of a rarity and if you do find some, it’s bloody expensive.

When I was going racing regularly, I very rarely availed myself of refreshments at the big meetings. At Cheltenham a hot toddy on arival to “keep the cold out” and that was it, much too much time wasted queueing once the masses arrived. on the other hand when visiting places like Chepstow, Bath, Taunton and Exeter there were, what I found, quite acceptable ‘sit down eateries”, where the food was good and affordable. The drinks I used to enjoy in a hostelry near the railway station before my ride home. I don’t drive and enjoy the train journey itself, though I did find the trip back from Chichester (for Goodwood) to Cardiff never-ending.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I’m tight with money, racecourse food and drink isn’t cheap and the quality often isn’t great, and you waste your day out queueing!

Go racing for the racing, build up an appetite and a thirst and enjoy that first mouthful of food and drink all the more for it after leaving the track!

Cheaper, better quality, appreciated more when you finally get it and a more efficient use of your time on your day out!

It’s the absolute way forward!

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.