The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racecourse profiteering

Home Forums Horse Racing Racecourse profiteering

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

£7.20 for a pint of IPA in Aintree today. :wacko:

No excuse for that. Profiteering, pure and simple.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Our man at the track!

Disgraceful, really, even if the £30 admission was very fair given the quality.

I never buy food and drink at a racecourse – the food tastes even nicer and the thirst feels even more quenched for the period of abstinence.

And it saves bombs.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

Who profits? Is it Aintree Racecourse or is it an outside catering company who are running the bar and therefore renting space from the racecourse? Staff to pay at minimum wage rates.

Also supply and demand to consider. I presume plenty of demand even at that price. If all staff are maxed out for the full shift it won’t matter if some don’t purchase because of the price as you can only pull some many pints. Rather sell 10,000 pints at £7.20 than 10,000 at £5.

Obviously if the customer does complain they can always be told to go elsewhere if they don’t like the price 😉

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Ridiculous

they should be going for a much better margin given its a captive market that largely becomes oblivious as the day goes on

Admittedly they are charging around the average Liverpool weekly wage

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Christ! I wouldn’t be paying £80 to get drunk when a £12 bottle of Aldi Bonded Bourbon will do the trick if I’ve got the itch.

Enjoy your day CAS, and I hope it is you profiteering from those dastardly rails bounders when its stumps.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

“I never buy food and drink at a racecourse – the food tastes even nicer and the thirst feels even more quenched for the period of abstinence.”

Same as me, didn’t drink (other than water) at Cheltenham on the Friday, the ques were far too long to stand around for 40minutes missing all the fun to buy an overpriced pint.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

The first drink, that first mouthful of food, after exiting a racecourse and the four-hour fast….exquisite.

And the knowledge I’ve saved a small fortune too….priceless.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Couldn’t agree more, we went for a curry afterwards back closer to home, best one I’ve had in a long time.

It was a touch delayed though, my car got stuck in that bloody field of a car park so had to get towed out by a tractor!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Depends what IPA it is.

If it’s the ubiquitous John Smith’s crap, then that’s an absolutely shocking price.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

It was Sharps Atlantic IPA. Not bad but not worth £7.20. And about a sharp gust of wind blew about 1/10th of it out of the naff plastic glass.

Even a cup of coffee costs £4!

Although the salt and pepper chicken and chips at £8.50 was good and reasonable value.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Agreed. Sharp’s Atlantic is a £5-at-the-most drink; definitely not worth £7.20.

At least the chicken and chips were good. 👍

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

Surprised they got racing underway on time. I’d have thought the course doctors were all busy reviving Wetherspoons punters who had heart attacks at the bar.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“Couldn’t agree more, we went for a curry afterwards back closer to home, best one I’ve had in a long time.

It was a touch delayed though, my car got stuck in that bloody field of a car park so had to get towed out by a tractor!”

You sound more like me every day, Ben!

Very scary – for you, that is!

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Ah yes Richard very good point

But thats nothing compared to their reaction when they buy a bar of Soap.

60p! How much??!

Last time they bought one it was two shillings and sixpence

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

“You sound more like me every day, Ben!

Very scary – for you, that is!”

Haha I’ll take it mate you don’t come across too bad at all 😉

Participant
    • Total Posts 730

£7.20??? :wacko: I’d want two pints for that price….unforgiveable. They’ll keep charging that as people keep paying.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

Havent been to a racecourse since 2018, One of reasons is because of this type of blatant profiteering.
    Racing needs to sort it out, quite frankly. Any chance ITV racing might topic it this week? :wacko:

Nah, thought not.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.