The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Race pace in Europe.

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Race pace in Europe.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

I need to get my head around this.

Are races regularly run genuinely? Good speed early and it’s a test of the fittest horse on the day at the post? What is the comparison between this, a fast pace and a slow pace?

Thanks folks!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5688

MD

I presume you are referring to longer distance races rather than sprints, say 1 mile upwards.

In England I’d say in general, the bigger the field the truer the pace. That tends to be even more the case as the prize money goes up, so that the handicaps at festivals tend to be the truest of the lot.

If there’s a small field with no obvious pacemaker then the chances are it’s a dawdle followed by sprint.

Rob

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Not really Rob – was looking for all sorts of distances.

A particular style that disgusts me is that Australian races tend to be run like this:

– Gate speed is very important. Horses usually fly out.
    – Field turns off a furlong afterwards.
    – Field clicks on with 2 furlongs to go. Sprint home.

It is a reason why I don’t like our local racing – I love European racing because it tends to justify the great horses in all their glory, as it should be.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Essentially there is no hard and fast rule. Smaller fields tend to result in slower, more tactical races but this is a massive generalisation.

As ever, lone pace angles can be very lucrative providing connections don’t suddenly change tactics. Similarly, some horses are good at pouncing off a slower pace, and can thus have good win ratios despite rarely putting in a decent speed figure.

Each race has to be judged on its own merits though…

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Would agree with Rob Myles once you get into high class races if they think there might be a false pace they will even run something to make it. Especially if there’s a large prize at stake.

I have seen some funny races at lowly tracks where half the field are out for a look at the people some are unfit and you end up with 4 tryers from 20 horses…..if the four have all been told to hold them up it’s like a pub crawl and no one quite knows what to do or where they are going :lol: Not an everyday occcurance luckily but it does happen at places like Hamilton etc.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5688

Not really Rob – was looking for all sorts of distances.

MD

The reason I stuck to 1 mile races is that I believe most races of a lesser distance will be be true run races. On occasions you may get a dawdle early on in 6 or 7 furlongs races, but in the main these races and those at 5 furlongs tend to be true run contests.

There’s no hard and fast rules though, since the great range of course layouts can make a difference to the pace.

Rob

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

It was always of my opinion, gentlemen, that race pace in England in general is … [picture a line graph]

From the gate … starts at the bottom, and gradually rises up and up and up until the final 1-2 furlongs before the fitter horse takes the choccies. I had this opinion justified after Yeats’ 2006 Melbourne Cup performance.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

It is far too simplistic to think that the majority of races will follow the same pace template, based on the fact that they are run in one country.

Distance, grade, going, field-size and course variables dictate that this will never be the case, and that is without even delving into the racing styles of the runners.

I think you are fumbling around at the end of the rainbow if you think there is one basic rule, and you would be better off thinking about how you can identify signals which suggest how a race is likely to play out…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.