The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

R.I.P. See You Then

Home Forums Horse Racing R.I.P. See You Then

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

The ex champion hurdler from the 80s, See You Then has sadly died aged 31.
    He apparently enjoyed 21 years of happy retirement in Italy.
    R.I.P. old boy

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9002

RIP indeed. Great horse.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8490

Crikey. Isn’t he the one who ate people for breakfast? He must have mellowed in his old age [as would we all in a sunny climate, perhaps]. Lovely to hear that he had such a long and happy retirement.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

Incredible to think that a horse that was so fragile could live such a long and healthy life.
    Mr Henderson did a great job of getting him right for the Champion every year as he really only could take a few races a season.
    Sadly missed

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1537

I remember seeing him win a four year old hurdle in feb at ?punchestown. His class was evident even then. Great achievement by by his trainer to get him ready for 3 Champion Hurdles. I’m delighted to hear he had such a long retirement; from 7 years of age. Is that the longest retirement ever?

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1337

I remember seeing him win a four year old hurdle in feb at ?punchestown. His class was evident even then. Great achievement by by his trainer to get him ready for 3 Champion Hurdles. I’m delighted to hear he had such a long retirement; from 7 years of age. Is that the longest retirement ever?

Flatterer, who finished 2nd to See You Then in the 1987 Champion Hurdle, retired at age 8. He is still very much alive and will be officially 33 years old in a few days.

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Flatterer, who finished 2nd to See You Then in the 1987 Champion Hurdle, retired at age 8. He is still very much alive and will be officially 33 years old in a few days.

That’s lovely to hear about MissW. I knew a lady years ago who had an ex-racer who had made it to 35. He was still ridden sometimes, and well capable of dropping someone on the deck if he fancied it! :lol:

As Moehat said, the Italian sunshine must have helped SYT make it to such a good age. RIP.

Ten Plus
    • Total Posts 811

What a good age he lived to – hope he enjoyed his very long retirement and had some activity during it. Any idea why he was sent to Italy? Interesting to hear about Flatterer too – can’t think there will be many 1st/2nd’s in the big races living to such great ages …
    RIP See You Then (aka See You When – due to his fragility)

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

Hi Ten Plus
    He ended up in Italy as his owners were Italian aristocrats apparently.
    After buying him out of Con Collins yard the original plan was actually to run him in Italy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.