The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Quick question about the Grand Prix Steeplechase

Home Forums Horse Racing Quick question about the Grand Prix Steeplechase

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Sunday 25th May at Auteuil

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

I don’t know of a ‘Grand Prix’, but the biggest chase in France is the Grand Steeplechase de Paris at Auteuil and it’s always the last Sunday in May.

Darren – AngloGerman

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Whit Sunday, eh? Hmmm.

Wonder if I can fit it in that weekend either side of trips to Cartmel and Bonvilston? :lol:

gc

Number of gratuitous mentions of Cartmel by GC to date – 347.

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

Hang on, May 25th……..

(gets diary)……..

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

I’m in Baden-Baden!!!!

Darren – Anglo-German

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Auteuil, has anyone been, its look a beast of a track, the fences look a real test…

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Don’t think you want to go, Jeremy. You’ll be within a quarter mile of me for about 4 hours. Can you manage?

Which of the venues do you mean – A) Auteuil, B) Bonvilston, or C) Cartmel? (That worked out quite nicely for alliterative purposes, methinks). And if A), how in blazes have you ended up there?

The proximity would not worry me especially. It would hardly rate the same as being stuck in the lift with Clarkson, Griffin, Widdecombe, Blunt or any of my other nemeses. :wink:

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Well in response to A), I’m going to be in Chantilly for 2 1/2 months from the beginning of May. So makes sense to soak in the most Grade and Group 1s available to me, of which there are quite a few! Surprised me a lot how many they have, almost 1 a week. I arrive right between our Guineas and theirs, perfect timing :D

Nicely done. Work placement?

Well I’m afraid I don’t know which Griffin you’re referring to,

That’d be Nick of BNP "fame". Safe to assume I’m not a fan. :evil:

Clarkson and me, well I’m sure we’d have some extremely heated debates,

The man is an affront to Jeremys the world over! As is Irons. Thorpe and Hardy are very fine by me, Beadle tolerable.

gc

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

27. Mai, Darren ;)

What’s on the 27th May? Both Auteuil and Baden-Baden are on Sunday 25th May. Baden-Baden actually begins on 17th May, but as usual, it’s 6 race days spread over 8 days.

Darren – AngloGerman

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Auteuil, has anyone been, its look a beast of a track, the fences look a real test…

I’ve been a few times.

I can’t think of many fallers, so I’m not sure it’s that tricky. On the other hand, maybe the French hurdles are good schooling for the horses that then go over fences?

Steve

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

The French are far superior to the British and Irish when it comes to schooling, although I’m sure the design of their hurdles does help.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Just been the once, last November for the International Jumps Weekend.

Viewing at the course is great, except for one spot at th southern end where they disappear behind some trees for a few moments……lots of gratis seating in the main grandstand, and you can get into the middle of the track for a spot at the big water jump……………….costs buttons to get in (about 8Euros I’m told for the Grande Steeplechase meeting), though they were handing out free tickets and race programmes when I was over.

The place was far from packed for the meeting I was at, and you could basically walk up to the bar and get served straight away. The crowds seemed to be there on a day-out though, rather than there as hard-core racing fans (my impression anyway), and the amtosphere was polite, rather than electric.

I don’t think the circuit takes too much jumping (fences are almost certainly not as stiff as UK and Irish tracks, imo), and my experience was that the track suits front-runners (nothing seemed to come from off the pace all day).

I would heartily recommend a visit, and I may be back for the Grande Steeplechase meeting myself.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.