The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Queen Mother Champion Chase 2014

Home Forums Archive Topics Queen Mother Champion Chase 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

But why pay the much higher supplementary fee when they could have just entered him now?

Maybe David Moyes is their racing manager ?

• Total Posts 660

The Tizzards seem rational to me. Cue Card is very effective at 3 miles nowadays and there is a question mark over shorter distances after the Haldon experience. So it’s a choice between the Ryanair and the Gold Cup.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Not sure if you’re 100% serious there, Kasparov.

A ring-rusty Cue Card narrowly failed to give away a lot of weight to a well-handicapped horse at 2 miles in the Haldon Gold Cup.

A fit Cue Card then beat a rusty Silviniaco Conti, Bobs Worth et al in the Betfair Chase. As I said at the time, that result was a bit of a red herring with so few of Cue Card’s rivals being totally ready.

Cue Card then got put firmly in his place at a sharp three miles by Silvinaco Conti. Again, few rivals ran to form in behind with Long Run below his best and Dynaste returning sore. Cue Card would have no hope at Cheltenham over an extended three miles against that rival, Bobs Worth and the rest.

The Ryanair would be a decent option. Last year’s race was appalling, with First Lieutenant seemingly more effective over further second, the Old Roan winner For Non Stop (who his owners were quite happy to sell on to America) next, then a below-par Riverside Theatre and eternal third-rater Champion Court. With the addition of Al Ferof, Benefficient and maybe even a 100% Riverside Theatre, this year’s race could be much tougher.

The Champion Chase looks like another solid choice, with doubts over Sprinter Sacre, Sizing Europe starting to age and Sire De Grugy likely to be over-the-top before March. Cue Card ran a stormer in the Haldon Gold Cup and also gave Sprinter Sacre a good race in the Arkle.

So, it would be the Ryanair or Champion Chase for Cue Card if I owned him. I would lean towards another Ryanair Chase, but be delighted to be runner-up in either race if being realistic.

Gdc1
    • Total Posts 561

PWise has put up Alderwood for this, excellent course form, outstanding festival form and the champion jockey to boot :-)
    Thanks Laddies for my £25 EW at 33s NRNB

• Total Posts 660

The NRNB concession seems very valuable. Somersby at 25-1 looks a good deal.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4796

PWise has put up Alderwood for this, excellent course form, outstanding festival form and the champion jockey to boot :-)
    Thanks Laddies for my £25 EW at 33s NRNB

He has some decent big-field handicap form but not sure how excellent it is relative to a Grade 1 race.

Presumably, AP isn’t going to ride the shorter priced Kid Cassidy then? I am sure Mark Walsh will be a more than able deputy.

Gdc1
    • Total Posts 561

McCoy will ride the one with the best winning chance and Alderwood has already beaten Kid Cassidy! Of all the races where handicappers have a good chance it is this division. Kid Cassidy beat SDG over CD and that should tell you what can happen

Gdc1
    • Total Posts 561

I also believe Kid Cassidy may not turn up in this race ;-)

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4796

McCoy will ride the one with the best winning chance and Alderwood has already beaten Kid Cassidy! Of all the races where handicappers have a good chance it is this division. Kid Cassidy beat SDG over CD and that should tell you what can happen

Are you just talking about this year? Very few have completed the Grand Annual/Champion Chase double. Pearlyman managed it but he was top-class animal who actually started favourite for the Champion Chase.

• Total Posts 660

PP have gone NRNB now which means you can get 1.73 for Sprinter with a run. Good value I think.

parro88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 12

very good value if he turns up he wins.next i betting is SDG and he was beaten by kid cassidy last time he was at cheltenham!!

• Total Posts 660

Paddy now going 1.9 Sprinter Sacre NRNB. Fill yer boots. He is 2.0 on Betfair without the concession so maybe worth laying there.

Participant
    • Total Posts 423

Sprinter Sacre has been ruled out of the Cheltenham Festival, Nicky Henderson has told the Raicng Post. The Champion Chase favourite worked on Saturday with Triolo d’Alene but "is not showing the same brilliance as he did last season".

:( terrible news

Participant
    • Total Posts 85

I think beneficent has a excellent chance in this thoughts please?.

• Total Posts 790

Stan James going 20/1 on the old boy Sizing Europe, He may be on the decline but he could still run into a place and possibly better if Sire De Grugy has an off day.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Stan James going 20/1 on the old boy Sizing Europe, He may be on the decline but he could still run into a place and possibly better if Sire De Grugy has an off day.

I’ve been thinking about him too. Yes, he ran below par at Christmas, but put in a good run on seasonal debut beating Baily Green and ran out of steam over 3 miles at Down Royal (as usual) – it could just be that father time is catching up with him and it happens very quickly as with Moscow Flyer. However, there is very little strength in depth and it could be a value bet for a small stake if he retains just a fair level of his old ability.

Participant
    • Total Posts 85

My idea off a each way bet to nothing is tony martins beneficent.A grade one winner over hurdles and fences he was upped to 3 miles where he didn’t stay earlier in the season.Then was dropped back to 2 miles where he won his grade one he seemed to love the step back in trip…Surely if he is there jumping the last he has a massive chance off winning as winning a grade one over 2miles 4furlongs at last years festival!.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.