The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Queen Elizabeth II Stakes 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Queen Elizabeth II Stakes 2012

Viewing 35 post (of 35 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1982

I remember thinking there was a big win in Beethoven during his 2YO campaign. Many considered him exposed when attempting the Dewhurst, but connections opted for a visor and he duly won at 33/1.

The fact is that Carlton House has proved himself a very good colt already without realising the potential that was bestowed upon him during the build-up to the 2011 Epsom Derby.

In the wake of Carlton House failing to realise the ambition of a royal Derby success (there was already a divided opinion of the colt), it was natural that those who adopted a negative opinion of him would say ‘I knew he wasn’t very good’, while those who supported him would naturally be disappointed he has failed to win at the highest level.

In just nine starts he has won a Dante, been beaten a length in an Epsom Derby, won a Brigadier Gerard, made a ten-time Group1 winner work when runner-up in the Prince Of Wales, and only last weekend came within a neck of being placed over eight furlongs against three previous Group1 winners at that distance.

I don’t think Carlton House has enough confidence in his own ability – in much the same way as Twice Over – and if Sir Michael Stoute adopted the same approach as Sir Henry Cecil, gave him a couple of confidence boosts and, perhaps, put some headgear on him, you will see a horse capable of fulfilling his potential at the highest level over ten and twelve furlongs.

Viewing 35 post (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.