The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Queen Elizabeth II Stakes 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Queen Elizabeth II Stakes 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    sleeplessinsale
    • Total Posts 3

Hi

I am searching high and low for video of the 1988 running that included Magic Of Life, Salse, Persian Heights, Soviet Star, Warning, Prince Rupert, Keefah and Indian Ridge.

Can anybody help point me the right way please? :?:

PeterSands
    • Total Posts 3

Forget those horses mate – The only horse now is BLACK CAVIAR – The worlds fastest horse ever

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Regarded by some as a penalty kick for Excelebration but the going has to be taken into account. He does not convince that he will see out the mile on heavy going. Cityscape, Side Glance and Carlton House has no stamina issues but the the former is a genuine group 1 performer.
    Cityscape has shown an ability to handle very soft conditions and looks an obvious choice at 9/2.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Excelebration proved that he acts on soft going in both the Mehl-Mülhens Rennen and the Prix du Moulin last season. He may not be at his very best in the mud, but the going on the straight course at Ascot won’t be as heavy as that on the round course and he should still be able to beat this lot.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Can’t see past Excelebration for this, think the form of The Prix Jacques Le Marois will be confirmed and the fave will confirm himself the second best miler in training.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I am with EF on this one.

I have long since thought that Excelebration is better on decent ground and that he only just sees out the mile on softer ground.

He has just over a length in hand on Cityscape from France and conditions will certainly be in favour of the Abdullah horse on Saturday. My only concern is that he is not the most consistent of horses and does throw in the odd stinker – certainly not an accusation you could throw at Excel.

I couldnt be having the Queen’s horse but Elusive Kate is a top class filly and will be on the premises as well I think.

So, although Excel is the best horse, in the conditions and at the prices it is Cityscape for me.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

carlton house to outstay the jolly 8)

freddythesalmon
    • Total Posts 3

Excelebration the best horse without a doubt, the ground is a concern but his class should see him through. I have seen a few people mention Carlton House and have to admit I am suprised by this. He couldnt beat the likes of Treasure Beach last season and did struggle big time lto. I just dont think he has anywhere near the class Excelebration has.

Participant
    • Total Posts 416

I don’t see why the ground will bother Excelebration as he has won on soft and very soft in France so he should be equally as comfortable on it as anything else in the race and on form he has the beating of the others.

Cityscape looks held and Elusive Kate is 4lbs worse off with Excelebration when he beat her in France. For me Side Glance has the best form with Excelebration beaten a neck in the Queen Anne on good to soft and holds his form well though I doubt he’s good enough to win at this level but looks a reasonable ew bet.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Excelebration the best horse without a doubt, the ground is a concern but his class should see him through. I have seen a few people mention Carlton House and have to admit I am suprised by this. He couldnt beat the likes of Treasure Beach last season and did struggle big time lto. I just dont think he has anywhere near the class Excelebration has.

Glad it’s not just me who is surprised anyone thinks Carlton House can beat Exel, The Queen’s horse is vastly overrated imo.

freddythesalmon
    • Total Posts 3

Glad it’s not just me who is surprised anyone thinks Carlton House can beat Exel, The Queen’s horse is vastly overrated imo.

I also think Carlton House is overrated, apart from the Prince of Wales race his form is very poor.

I am looking at the Excelebration race this way, if it wasnt for Frankel then Excelebration would have won stacks more group ones and be regarded as the best miler around. His price would be a lot lot shorter than the 4/5 he is available at now. I think 4/5 is good value for such a classy horse.

• Total Posts 1982

Some interesting comments are here regarding

Carlton House

I don’t consider a Dante Stakes and Brigadier Gerard winner, who also boasts placed efforts in an Epsom Derby and Prince of Wales Stakes, to be overrated. To what extent? Was he once touted as the second coming?

Excelebration will be tough to beat and I’d be surprised if he was, but taking everything into consideration I believe The Queen’s colt could very well reach the frame.

The two most popular selections, favourite aside, appear to be Cityscape and Elusive Kate.

Cityscape has achieved very little and, quite frankly, been disappointing since his Meydan success. It was once widely considered that he needed cut in the ground, but the formbook tells a different story and, in my opinion, he looked a tired horse in Canada last time. And who can blame him? He has run five times this season in five different countries and been on the go since March.

Elusive Kate hasn’t quite covered the same air miles as Roger Charlton’s horse, but has twice visited France this season and endured four hard races in three months. She’s tough, should be suited by Ascot and will enjoy the conditions, but while it’s possible she could reverse Moulin form with Cityscape, she will find it hard to do so with Excelebration on worse terms.

Carlton House is a very fresh colt, having not run since July. He pulled hard at Sandown on his reappearance yet still won with plenty of authority – certainly more than the winning margin suggests. He found only So You Think too good at Royal Ascot and it’s more than likely the scrap he encountered with the giant Ballydoyle runner nearly cost him second place that day.

Farhh was perhaps a little unlucky, but the overall form is solid with the Godolphin colt now rated 124 and Reliable Man – back in fourth – rated 122.

There’s no doubt he was very disappointing in the Summer Mile, but his head strong tendancies cost him on that occasion and I hope Ryan Moore allows the race to develop around him and doesn’t produce Carlton House too early. I’ve always been of the opinion that he’s a bit of a thinker and tactics are of pivotal importance to his chances, regardless of competition.

He won the Dante and Brigadier Gerard on seasonal debut and comes here a fresh challenger, and I’m almost certain he would appreciate some juice in the ground. If he doesn’t pull – and that is a worry – then he should run a big race and follow Excelebration home.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Having read Roger Charlton’s comments on the website, he is no more than hopeful that he will run ok. I find his comments about his horses to be generally quite candid.
    He has usually run well in October but it could be that he is over the top after a long season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32993

Roger Charltson is a pessimist EF. When a horse has been beaten by another (the fav) in the field, he’s not going to be optimistic.

Agree with others that

Excelebration

is not certain to go on the ground. In my opinion odds-on is ridiculous, should be around 5/4. That’s made a few others value (imo).

If

Carlton House

settles better than he did last time could go close. Proven on the ground and stays further. Second in the Prince Of Wales looked disappointing at the time, didn’t seem to get home but form has worked out pretty well despite looking as if a mile should suit. What price would

Farhh

(closely matched) be in this?

Cityscape

ran ok in Canada, winner

Wise Dan

should not be under-estimated. Is more consistent than people give him credit for. A lot of horses take time to recover from Spring in Dubai and palpably didn’t stay in the Eclipse. Deaville second to

Excelebration

was probably right up there with his best form. Soft form not quite up to sound surface, but runs as if it shouldn’t prove a problem and once thought suited by it.

Elusive Kate

was unlucky last time, shoe came loose when stumbling out of the gate. Beaten by a horse with a more prominent position early on a day where it paid to be up there. However, came up short against the colts in France despite the run of the race.

I’ve backed

Cityscape

and

Carlton House

with a saver on

Elusive Kate

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1533

Carlton House was a big loser for me when beaten fair and square by So You Think and if that wasn’t bad enough he follows up by running like a 3 legged mule next time out. Trusting him to run up to his SYT form isn’t easy.

I’ve ran out of excuses for him and this looks like a steering job for Excelebration unless SMS knows something the racing public doesn’t.

Why my learned friend/s think the ground is an issue is beyond me he’s he went through soft ground in Ireland like a Ferrari and of the front 4 has the best form in testing conditions.

Anything approaching even looks generous to me.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

Where is the evidence that Excelebration is better on good ground? He is 3 out of 3 on soft / very soft.

He beat Elusive Kate and Cityspace in France and has been kept fresh since then – they have ran elsewhere. He is better off at the weights with Elusive Kate this time. Furthermore, those two ran from the front in that race and stayed there – only Excelebration caught them up. So I think they were at something of an advantage, despite not winning.

As for Carlton House – he’s never won a Group 1 before nor a race over 1 mile. Despite a sneaking feeling that he may run well, I’ve got to rule him out for the win. You’ve got to stick to the form book or suppositions and ‘what ifs’ will put you off ever having a bet.

My only doubt about Excelebration is that it all looks too good. In my eyes, he should be 4/7.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I have had Carlton House down as one to avoid since his Derby run. I just don’t think he is a top class horse and has too many question marks over him. Sir Michael hasn’t had a group one winner for two years and has had a pretty modest record in general during that period. Cityscape is not a favourite of mine and his biggest win had a "flash in the pan" quality to it for me. He looked special that day but his other runs don’t back that up. Elusive Kate is up against it but is a filly who has done better than I expected this year after a relatively busy campaign last season. She could grab a place. I think Excelebration will win but the main concern for me is that nearly all of O’Briens recent winners have been two year olds who have probably outclassed their rivals. If I could get 10/1 on Elusive Kate I’d probably back her each way but that won’t happen. It could be that we will all be looking at Excelebration afterwards and thinking "well that was obvious"

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.