The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Long Distance Cup 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Long Distance Cup 2012

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    SDO
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

Wide open race according to the market but I can’t help but feel that the current 6/1 about Opinion Poll with Bet365 seems fairly big. Possibly unsuited given the lack of pace in the Ascot Gold Cup which he seemed to thrive on last year. He’s a very consistent horse; I fail to remember the last time he disappointed.

Last year’s winner Fame and Glory looks to have regressed significantly and the other Ascot GC protagonists appear to have gone a bit backwards since. Opinion Poll clearly loves Ascot, his course record is impeccable; the one bad run coming as a 3yo.

My main worry is whether he’ll turn up or not. Anyone have any information?

rob2005
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

I agree with you.

According to Godolphin’s website he is on track to appear alongside colour vision.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Opinion Poll clearly loves Ascot and other horses clearly love racing at Longchamp eg Youmzain.That is exactly the beauty of the BC. No horses for courses there.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

I like Opinion Poll for this, has won before off a break and should be fresh while the likes have Colour Vision and Saddler’s Rock have been slogging it out and beating each other all season.

He won’t mind the going either, the ground certainly rules out Saddler’s and F&G but a filly who won’t mind it soft is Hawaafez, she’s intersting at 12/1 providing she handles the extra couple of furlongs.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Despite the amount of time off the track, I can’t help but lean towards Rite Of Passage. It would take one hell of a training performance to get him right and ready to win in what’s a very competitive field for this, but Dermot Weld is more than capable of pulling of such feats. He handles the ground alright and is a course winner. 11/1 about him could be the value bet.

• Total Posts 1533

I’m with

Pants

which is pretty unusual for Bangkok :D One glance is enough if Opinion Poll runs I will back him…Is Frankie riding him?

The genius that is Aiden O’Brien scares me though Fame and Glory can be one helluva hard horse to beat if spot on.

I’ve always thought his mission in life was staying and not many of these could run Sea the Stars to a couple of lengths. BIg question mark against him but fear him you must.

Opinion Poll

if abs Fame and Glory

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

I think Hawaafez is a decent bet at 12s, the way she galloped her rivals into the ground in the Cumberland lodge on soft ground was impressive and Murtagh and Tregonning were both confident of her getting two miles.
    Opinion Poll a very good alternative – F&G looking a bit of a dodge-pot these days.

Participant
    • Total Posts 416

No idea these days at Godolphin if it was Frankie’s choice or not but he’s on Colour Vision. I really like Opinion Poll as he is such a good and consistent performer who tries his heart out. Two interesting runners are Ile De Re and Rite Of Passage who is on the comeback trail, they’ll both like the ground.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Aiken has been progressive all season and showed a liking for the prevailing conditions.

• Total Posts 59

An honorable mention to the gold cup winner, remember being very impressed by his run at Kempton before the Gold cup and had him as almost a certainty for the gold cup. True has had a long season and has not been overly impressive since but won the gold cup at ascot last time under similar conditions and if not exhausted has to have a good shout!

Fame and Glory has been disappointing this season but will watch the market as if they think he is going good at home will defiantly consider giving him another chance.

Opinion Poll, well rested consistent sort, would go for colour vision over him but for the long season the later has had gives claim for debate.

Pick: colour vision! :)

• Total Posts 1533

Opinion Poll is a fair bit shorter than I thought he would be and Frankie isn’t riding him so I’m reducing my stake by 19,995 pounds and having a fiver on :lol: I find Barza a hard jockey to trust at times, one day he looks brilliant the next day he looks clueless.

Didn’t think Ile de ray would run he is improving at some rate of knotts and is no 8/1 shot….I’m backing both.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Despite the amount of time off the track, I can’t help but lean towards Rite Of Passage. It would take one hell of a training performance to get him right and ready to win in what’s a very competitive field for this, but Dermot Weld is more than capable of pulling of such feats. He handles the ground alright and is a course winner. 11/1 about him could be the value bet.

And I wasn’t even on :x

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Dermot is a wily ould fox.A double on champion’s day and that with two disparate horses.So much money and it all going over seas .Because the meeting is between the Arc and the BC it becomes a minor festival and that is made for Dermot.Take out the group one horses and he is home free!One is reluctant to back Ballydoyle horses unless Joseph is riding them.Been a while since Jamie won a group one.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/ChristopherPHammond/cdfr1c.jpg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.