The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Punchestown Grand National Trial 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Punchestown Grand National Trial 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16455

Plenty of the usual suspects in this, but a fair few catching the eye as well….

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/195/punchestown/2021-02-14/777408

No market up yet, and doesn’t always get an Antepost Market, but hopefully somebody will offer one this week.

Very very keen on Stones and Roses here. Bit of a slow burner, but won as he liked last time, and though hammered for that, he looks as if he can easily cope. Step up in trip looks a positive as well.

He’s the one I wanted to see get an entry, so he’ll do for me, but in a race like this, there’s always going to be more.

I thought that Koshari was a real eyecatcher yesterday At Leopardstown. This will probably come too quick, and though he looks ideal for The Coral Cup, I’d pay attention if he trapped here.

Midnight Maestro was an impressive winner at Leopardstown over Christmas, following up from a really encouraging run at Fairyhouse, and the move to Enda Bolger, appears to have done the trick.

Of the rest, I think Nick Lost is an interesting one, having run well last time off a long layoff, while I haven’t given up at all on Ten Ten.

Stones and Roses

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3014

I’d be with you at first glance too Bobby, but i suspect we won’t be getting a fancy price.

If The Big Dog goes here he might be on my mind.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16455

Yeah, he’s possibly going to be shorter than I really like, but I’ll probably bet him once market opens, either Antepost, or on Friday.

Knew you’d be interested in The Big Dog. He makes more appeal than a few of the regulars.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16455

No Stones and Roses Jack. Interesting, wonder what the plan is? He’s surely better than The Leinster National, maybe Fairyhouse bound.

Liking the look of Screaming Colours now as well.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3014

Off 133 he’s unlikely to get in Bobby, so it’s strange they don’t run him here. Perhaps they’ve another plan to get him there of course.

The other one I notice that’s still in there is Arverne off a light weight.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

I would be very keen on Thermistocles here, and Jack I’ll be with The Big Dog as well as my second choice

Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 499

The Big Dog and Spades Are Trumps for me at this stage, but it’s a very tough looking race right now.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3014

GOING: Soft to Heavy. Using inside track first circuit only, finishing on main straight. Possibility of snow overnight, clearing tomorrow evening with possible showers thereafter.

As of this morning.

Massive fingers crossed this goes ahead.

Jamie Codd booked on The Big Dog is great news. Has useful form around Punchestown and has some decent novice chase form this year. Hopefully he’s a kind price.

Bobby your Screaming Colours pick could be interesting for sure. Might be my 2nd pick at this rate.

Autumnal, i had a strong look at Thermistocles, running him back in a hurdle over 2m, suggests there was definitely a plan in mind, probably here.

Smoking Gun is a horse i definitely think is capable of winning a big handicap chase, but i’d still hold off on him until there’s some better going personally.

waroftheroses
    Participant
    • Total Posts 60

High Sparrow for me around 14-1ew, and I’m with you Jack with The Big Dog. I’m happy to see Codd booked with 6-1 available

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 297

Out Sam is a difficult horse to judge, but at odds around 25-1 with 6pl, he’s my selection along with The Big Dog, who’s easier to make a case for.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3014

Jeff, it’s funny he’s one i was looking as well. You have to be “creative” with him as he’s hard to win with but he wasn’t running bad last time before falling.

The Big Dog is just about backable at around 6/1. It’s a pity the books that have priced him up biggest are serial restricters.

I’ve backed him in a double with Elimay to boost the odds a little.

Nick Lost is very short for me as most of his form as come on good ground, tomorrow will be quite the opposite.

Castle Oliver is one i’m considering as he looked progressive before disappointing as 4/1f. He could still have plenty in hand, but you’d have to trust Roche to have him very fit to run over 3m4 on heavy on seasonal reappearance.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 941

Out Sam has already had a go around the cross country course at chelt and is entered for the festival , this may well be a final prep for that …he,s a horse that owe,s me a quid or 2

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4914

SE MO LAOCH is my main choice. A number of decent efforts in staying chases last season, including a fair effort in the Midlands National, and made an encouraging return over hurdles in December.

Screaming Colours has very solid form around three miles but steps up in trip. The problem for Irish trainers with extreme stayers is that there aren’t that many chasers of much over three miles, but this one has been seeing out three mile contests well enough and not over-raced for a 10 year old.

If he gets a run then Tokyo Getaway makes up my three against the field. Not a winner of late but has run some decent races over three miles plus.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 941

Hoping from a better run from dunikos today , played e.e along with roaring bull who should also be capable off this mark

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2692

I’ll have a go. My pin has dropped on Born By The Sea 14-1 ew 5 places.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.