The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

PUGGY

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

The other week there was a interesting Class2 fillies maiden at salisbury.  There were three horses involved which i liked the look of on breeding.<br>FRETWORK- a galileo/selkirk – had just run a good second on her debut and looked almost certain to follow up on her next run. Was the favorite<br>PARADISE WALK – Sakhee/Woodman – making her debut for roger charlton looked a possible place money horse at 20-1.<br>PUGGY-Mark of esteem/Machiavellian – looked an interesting type on breeding but went against her at 66/1 as she was making a debut for R. Kvisla, i wasnt familiar with her jockey F. Johansson (who has subsequently picked up a few spare rides) and she was wearing a tongue tie for her debut.

Anyway, the queens horse ran a good honest race as expected butwas destroyed by the Kvisla newcomer, i was listening to it on william hill radio and they were all highly impressed with the turn of foot showed by PUGGY.

Whether she had been highly prepped for the race or not is unknown, and am not familiar with the stables tactics with juveniles, however, despite being from a small yard PUGGY is bred to make into a nice filly and it could be worth keeping an eye out for this PUGGY.

Did anyone see this race, and if so what did you make of it?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Form of the race looks average for the track/time of year and the winner was arguably fortunate to beat Tarteel on the day, that filly finishing well under hands and heels having been denied a clear run on several occasions. She runs at Haydock on Saturday.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I can see where your coming from with tarteel, and the racing posts poor race assessment* seems to agree she would have been closer with a clear run, she definitely looks like a horse on the upgrade and should lose her maiden tag soon, but after posting a 68 rating on her debut and following up with an ‘unlucky’ 80 rating she doesnt look the sort to ever make into something specia, even with a haydock win (the step up to 1mile should suit her)l.

Where i am coming from with puggy is not that shes the next russian rythym but that after a nicely bred filly makes an 80 rated debut, won with a nice turn of foot nearly4secs slow (more like a 6f event than a 7f) she should come on from it almost guaranteed. And whether tarteel was unlucky or not on her second start you must recognise that puggy did do what she was asked and you cant really expect much more than that. From the audio commentary she was always going best.

*The racing post say that PUGGY wants to step up to 1mile, yet i dont know how they can say that after 1 run when the race was run more like a 6f event, so even if she won going away you would still think that she would want a properly run 7f next time before saying she should step up.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

An intersting runner in the Oh So Sharp stakes on saturday. This should confirm if her debut was a one off, hopefully she goes well.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Worth pointing out that Fretwork managed only 3rd today at odds on in a maiden where precious few were fancied against her. Like a few of her maj’s homebreds, Fretwork comes from a family notorious for starting well and regressing, being a half sister to both Maclean and Desert Flair, both of whom showed real promise at two but who proved hugely disappointing subsequently.

Sorry, meant to add that there was virtually nothing from the big yards fancied at all in the Salisbury race, and I expect Puggy to be shown as moderate in time.

(Edited by rory at 9:36 pm on Sep. 26, 2006)

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Cracking performance Bulwark. I backed it win only and it was the winner everywhere but on the line. Travelled well.

A more experienced jockey might have waited a stride or two before committing, but that’s racing.

Well spotted.;)

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Me too max, gutted. Nice horse.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I backed her each way and was still gutted, i thought she had it, was very impressed though condsidering she was slowly away, i thought that was a bad omen straight away (i think the jockey was worried about giving something first run on soft ground), i suspect shes the type that will go on anything so hopefully she’ll get anothe run before the winter.

Wouldnt mind seeing a price for her for the guineas as i dont think this sander camillo looks the sort to stay a mile and i havent seen much else yet that looks unbeatable.

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 657

BET365 have her in their list at 33/1.<br>Can’t find any others at the moment.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.