The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prix de L’Arc de Triomphe

Home Forums Horse Racing Prix de L’Arc de Triomphe

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

A couple of horses have been added to the race:

Song of Hiawatha – clearly O’Brien doesn’t have enough pacemakers in already.

Getaway – G2 winner trained by Fabre.

And Yeats has dropped out of the race, but remains in the decs for the Prix Du Cadran (which is being run AFTER the Arc this year).

Steve

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Money’s coming for DT as well – Fallon looks to be partnering him. At the moment i’d prefer to have Murtagh on board anyway… 12% strike rate doesn;t read well for Mr Fallon.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The money for Dylan is presumably related to theimproving weather forecast. If the ground is good to soft or better, he’s bang in the reckoning. No reason he should be around 6 times the price of Authorized on their Juddmonte run.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I was very, very confident that Authorised would win the Derby and I am just as confident that he has what looks a relatively weak Arc at his mercy.

nitro
    • Total Posts 100

Isn’t it crazy that 50%(!!!) of the field are trained by O’Brien?
    Wonder why other trainers don’t send more horses.
    No doubt, there is quality in the race. But I miss quantity. Remember Arc races with 20 horses fields…

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Just why the likes of Acapulco, Red Rock Canyon and Song of Hiawatha are in the race I have no idea – Shergar would be a far likelier winner (it could happen – Elvis just rode past on him, eating a burger, with Lord Lucan in tow).

On recent form, and given the probable state of the ground, you would have to think that Soldier of Fortune is the call. He’s had the ideal preparation, will act on the going (and even if it does quicken up a fraction, he won’t be phased) and possesses the requisite class. Authorized looks vulnerable, Dylan Thomas needs the rain to stay away (and even then isn’t guaranteed to get the better of his Juddmonte conqueror) and Zambezi Sun simply isn’t good enough.

That said, I think I’ll be having a few quid on Mandesha. She ran well behind Manduro last time out and was given far too much to do behind Peeping Fawn at Goodwood. Considering the latter run came over a trip short of her best, and on ground far too quick, she did surprisingly well. I’d fancy her to at least run well, and maybe right the wrongs of Shawanda fracturing her pelvis two years ago.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

How on earth is this a weak Arc?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

How on earth is this a weak Arc?

I’d agree. There is a lack of depth behind the first three or four, but with DT, SoF & Authorized in the field, I can see it being a cracking race, with the winner rightfully a champion.

BTW for what it’s worth, I think everything’s right for SoF to take it. His preparation has been 110% ideal and absolutely flawless, and he’s improved with every run recently. He should also get his ground. I’ll be taking a bit of 7/2 (or whatever BF offers).

pengamon
    • Total Posts 226

I don’t think it’s a poor field but it doesn’t hold a candle to the 1986 field and I miss the days-which ended in the early days that I attended the race of up to 25 runners. I think they made it a maximum field of 20 around 1994 and it’s interesting to note I think it’s only needed to ballot horses out once or may be twice since then. There are far more autumn options for horses than there were before the 1980’s-no Breeders’ Cup, no Japan Cup, no Hong Kong International.

The field size for the Arc has suffered and for someone like me who loved to do the Tierece on the Arc it’s a great dissapointment that they have decided the field is too small and Sunday’s Tierce/Quatre/Quinte is YET again on a Handicap. I like nothing more than trying to hit the Saturday Tierece-and my biggest ever win was on a correct order Tierce on the Saturday

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

12 Runners declared according to Sporting Life website
    Authorised, Soldier, Zambezi, Dylan, Mandesha, Saddex, Sagara, Getaway, Youmzain, Dragon Dancer, Yellowstone, Song of Hiawatha.
    Does anyone have the draw?

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Does anyone have the draw?

1 YOUMZAIN corde : 4
    2 DYLAN THOMAS corde : 6
    3 DRAGON DANCER corde : 1
    4 SADDEX (GB) corde : 2
    5 GETAWAY corde : 10
    6 MANDESHA corde : 3
    7 ZAMBEZI SUN corde : 8
    8 SONG OF HIAWATHA corde : 7
    9 YELLOWSTONE IRE corde : 9
    10 SOLDIER OF FORTUNE corde : 5
    11 SAGARA corde : 11
    12 AUTHORIZED corde : 12

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Even in a field of this size, the outside draw must be a negative for the fav. How do you reckon the 2 Ballydoyle outsiders will be ridden? It would be quite legitimate for at least one of them to lie up with Authorised, possibly making it hard for Frankie to get a good possie with cover…

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Even in a field of this size, the outside draw must be a negative for the fav. How do you reckon the 2 Ballydoyle outsiders will be ridden? It would be quite legitimate for at least one of them to lie up with Authorised, possibly making it hard for Frankie to get a good possie with cover…

Difficult to say what will happen for sure, but Saddex is a horse who races on the pace, and it possible that his connections will decide to jump him quickly out of the gate to grab the lead – or try to – from his low draw, because it can get messy on the rail at Longchamp once they start hitting the turns. Out front could be the best place to be for him.

If the above does happen, then it’ll be interesting to see the how things pan out.

As for Authorized, I’d be more worried if he was drawn low because Frankie should be able to plot his route better from an outside draw.

chipmunk
    • Total Posts 84

french form is a closed book to my clock minded study of form as so many trials (and races in general) are crawls followed by sprint finishes so i have gone back to basics and looking at the last 10 years all the winners were placed in all of the races contested that season PLUS 9 of the 10 were 3 year olds………voila one horse left AUTHORIZED…..lol. i am aware of the amount of prix niel winners to win the arc (7 of the last 10 i think) so its a reverse forecast with soldier of fortune. to complete a great weekend england to beat the aussies and greek well in the cambs………if only, chipmunk

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

For what it’s worth :shock: I like ZAMBEZI SUN

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

The field/draw is available 2.30pm your time

Eh?

I posted it on this thread at 11.13 this morning.

Steve

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

How weird, they sent us the advice it wouldn’t be up until 9.30pm our time :shock:
    It’s OK this is another planet afterall :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.