The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arc 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Arc 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 264 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Oh dear Christophe has ****** up again! 1/100 in running too!! :shock:

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

The going has obviously had a major impact on the result, but Camelot was a big disappointment to me. He clearly wasn’t good enough. :(

• Total Posts 59

What a result, shock winner second year running!

• Total Posts 614

Really ? i don’t think he did. It looked to me as if he done what he was supposed to do, but the horse veered right and just didn’t have enough.

stuparkes44
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9

I had £90 win on orfevre at 25/1 backed in April I am absolutely gutted. Man oh man I feel awful wish he came 10th 2nd is too cruel.

I can’t even be happy I had a saver @ £1 ew on solemia and kesampour

£64.50 is nowhere near 2 1/2 grand! Probably the 1st and last time I wasn’t cheering a 50/1 winner

• Total Posts 1533

You gotta be joking.

I’m shell shocked I was counting the cash….how could he lose I thought????

Watching the race the horse hanging was to blame not the jockey 100%

He would surely have won if he’d held Orfrve up a little bit longer but that’s life Orferve was going so well no way could he know he was going to run sideways after traveling so well. 999 times out of 1000 when you go past the opposition like he did so close to home you win. Very unlucky but not a bad ride by any stretch of the imagination

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

How brilliant does Sir Henry’s decision look now? Given how far St Nick was beaten, if Frankel had been badly drawn on that ground would he have been the certainty some posters were suggesting he was? :?

• Total Posts 1533

Behave yourself Hammy :lol: Frankel would have been back in his box before the 2nd reached the winners enclosure

Participant
    • Total Posts 32993

Am sure Soumillon wishes he’d held on to Orfevre for a bit longer, but that is with the benifit of hindsight. In what looked a slowish pace needed to make some ground from the back and probably made it up a bit quicker than the jockey thought he would. Had he then taken a pull two out and got beaten by another closer he’d have had just as much abuse.

Value Is Everything
    Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

Am sure Soumillon wishes he’d held on to Orfevre for a bit longer, but that is with the benifit of hindsight. In what looked a slowish pace needed to make some ground from the back and probably made it up a bit quicker than the jockey thought he would. Had he then taken a pull two out and got beaten by another closer he’d have had just as much abuse.

I thought he came to win his race quite brilliantly but then hung like a barn door in the heavy ground in the final half furlong and was beaten by a better horse on the day. Soumillion couldn’t have done much more to stop him careering into the rails, the jockey was hung out of the left side of the horse like Randy Mamola. The horse just looks a bit quirky and didn’t handle the going in the final part of the race.

…at least that’s how it seemed to me. :?

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I wouldn’t blame the pilot personally – how on earth could he have known the horse would have done that?

In future, now he knows, I’m sure he’ll come later – but look at horses such as Geordieland, they do as they like no matter how you time it.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

stuparkes44
    Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:26 pm
    I had £90 win on orfevre at 25/1 backed in April I am absolutely gutted. Man oh man I feel awful wish he came 10th 2nd is too cruel.

I can’t even be happy I had a saver @ £1 ew on solemia and kesampour

£64.50 is nowhere near 2 1/2 grand! Probably the 1st and last time I wasn’t cheering a 50/1 winner

not being funny but with the benefit of hindsight maybe a lay in running on betfair might have been the way forward? you could have actually made a lot more than 2 and half k given he touched 1.01 in running.

clearly it wasn’t the jockeys fault, he never stopped riding. my opinion before the race that the japanese horse (i still can’t be bothered to try and spell his wretched name) wouldn’t be good enough to win an arc was clearly wrong.

run that race on good ground and he’d have won by an easy 3 lengths. just that he got outstayed by the winner on the testing surface.

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

I wouldn’t blame the pilot personally – how on earth could he have known the horse would have done that?

In future, now he knows, I’m sure he’ll come later – but look at horses such as Geordieland, they do as they like no matter how you time it.

The horse is famously a major headcase, hence the trainer saying before the race that his mind is the biggest obstacle to him winning. Hitting the front too early was what I feared and it happened but I don’t blame Christophe too much. He couldn’t have anticipated that no horse would issue a serious challenge but that’s what happened and Orfevre was left in front. Christophe was probably shocked the horse picked them up that quickly too

If he always ran to the wire he would’ve won most races in Japan by 5 or more. I have no doubt he simply pulled up after hitting the front even though the winner was the only one to significantly cut into his margin (I think the others were average or didn’t run to form)

Soumillon reportedly told Equidia Orfevre’s the best he’s ever ridden. I really hope he takes on Frankel because I think he’ll get closer than anything else in the world

He pulls up halfway through the race in this race from Japan, then amazingly gets going again for 2nd. He’s always been a difficult horse and that was the biggest risk to betting him (even the draw didn’t worry me)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj2F9CHWYSY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T-RD0k3X30

• Total Posts 1533

I was just saying on another thread that if the ground had been good he’d have won easily by about 4 lengths but of course he could have just as easily decided to jump the rail and eat a spectator.

No doubt he is bit of a loony that race when he just decided to stop baffled the hell out of me but make no mistake he is one very very good horse and most likely would beat any 12 furlong horse in Europe with ease.

In that sense I am happy I stood my ground on him but boy was I sick when Betfair had cleared the board of prices offered on him and the next thing I knew he was beat.

Biggest sickener I’ve had in years but alas I couldn’t have backed the winner in a hundred years anyway.

No blame whatsoever on the jockey he gave the horse a brilliant ride coming just at the right time. Even the winning jockey admitted he thought it was all over and he was riding to hold on to second when Orfevre thought he’d have a crack at doing the Zenyatta shuffle…….I’m not at all angry but I hope his trainer hits him between the ears with a rubber hose when he gets him home. :lol:

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

The horse is famously a major headcase, hence the trainer saying before the race that his mind is the biggest obstacle to him winning. Hitting the front too early was what I feared and it happened but I don’t blame Christophe too much. He couldn’t have anticipated that no horse would issue a serious challenge but that’s what happened and Orfevre was left in front. Christophe was probably shocked the horse picked them up that quickly too

If he always ran to the wire he would’ve won most races in Japan by 5 or more. I have no doubt he simply pulled up after hitting the front even though the winner was the only one to significantly cut into his margin (I think the others were average or didn’t run to form)

Soumillon reportedly told Equidia Orfevre’s the best he’s ever ridden. I really hope he takes on Frankel because I think he’ll get closer than anything else in the world

He pulls up halfway through the race in this race from Japan, then amazingly gets going again for 2nd. He’s always been a difficult horse and that was the biggest risk to betting him (even the draw didn’t worry me)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj2F9CHWYSY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T-RD0k3X30

Ok – I should have kept my mouth shut I didn’t realise the colt was so awkward. Shades of Harchibald – always looked the best horse in the race, but wouldn’t have won if god was on board.

• Total Posts 59

No doubt he is bit of a loony that race when he just decided to stop baffled the hell out of me but make no mistake he is one very very good horse and most likely would beat any 12 furlong horse in Europe with ease.

Yes, it would be hard to argue he was not the best horse in that race. Very impressiv performance even though did not win. Silly horse!

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

..one of the most unluckiest losers ever in this race I think… perhaps it’s the draw that beat him ultimately as he had to be dropped in so far back and then to come with that long but devastating turn of foot, he didn’t have much left at the end…

as for the spooking close home, reviewing one of the Youtube re-runs which has a slow motion from other side of the track, at first I thought it was when Solemia got eyeball to eyeball but on reflection I believe it was the Equidia cameraman standing inside the running rail with quite a large camera and Orfevre catches sight of it and spooks right at that point, you can see his eyeballs go wild with panic and then his eyes are all over the place for a stride or two….

..he’s a very nervy character which is why I love him to bits… and do hope we see him again, very soon…

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 264 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.