The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Practice Jumps

Home Forums Horse Racing Practice Jumps

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Over in France, before a Steeplechase, the runners and riders jump a ‘practice fence’ inorder to get their eye in.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

I much prefer the British way of just taking a horse up to the fence and letting him/her have a good look at it. I just can’t see any advantages whatsoever to jumping a practice fence prior to a race.

What happens if a horse falls at the practice fence? What happens if a jockey or horse gets injured at the practice fence? I know these eventualities can happen during a race but to happen before the race seems a little odd to me, marring the race before it even starts, causing unnecessary delays even – I don’t know, what do you guys think?

Mike

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

Tbh, I don’t really see the point in even looking at the first – it is purely a jockey calmer, does nothing for the horse at all.
    Besides that, I have a few that wouldn’t entertain going near a practise fence before a race :lol: .

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Tbh, I don’t really see the point in even looking at the first – it is purely a jockey calmer, does nothing for the horse at all.
    Besides that, I have a few that wouldn’t entertain going near a practise fence before a race :lol: .

Cheers for the Cheekster.

I’m not sure of the actual rule over in France. Do they have to jump the practice fence or is it optional? I’ve been watching a bit of French racing today on ATR and I’ve yet to see a horse not jump the practice fence.

I must get to wrapping some presents now – always leave things to the last minue I do. Saying that, I better go and buy some presents first :lol:

Mike

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

I think the rule is you have to get over the practise jump to be allowed to race. Not sure how many goes are you allowed though.
    Go to Woolworths, I did mine in 5 mins flat the other day – 4 mins of that was spent in a queue! :lol:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.