The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Potential Jumping Stallions

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Potential Jumping Stallions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mdwillis
    • Total Posts 82

As we are coming to the back end of the 2009 flat season on turf and now the jump season proper is fast approaching we are now looking at which horses can carve out a career at stud. Has anyone on this forum seen a flat horse in training who could become a good jumping stallion who has an abundance of a bit of speed but most importantly of all has bags of stamina which is important for future offspring which can handle 3 mile chases on bottomless ground. I have come up with a list of racehorses which I might think can become the next Presenting or Be My Native in 10 to 15 years time see what you think about the chances to these becoming a successful NH sire:

Age of Aquarius
    Tartarn Bearer
    Ask
    Doctor Fremantle
    Kite Wood
    Casual Conquest
    Patkai
    Twice Over
    Septimus
    Rip Van Winkle
    Paco Boy
    Youmzain
    Gan Ahmras

Can anyone suggest any other flat horse that I have not mentoned that could be a potential NH sire.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Paco Boy no chance- 7f or mile horse

RVW- Ballydoyle would go into apoplexy at the thought!

Twice Over- best at up to 10f so probably breed short runners

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Septimus and Age of Aquarius would be my choices off that list.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

I’d plump for Patkai out of that lot. He might be more of an outcross than the others.

Btw, there have been plenty of good NH stallions who were best at 10f, or less – Flamenco was a miler and Strong Gale a 9/10f horse.

Red Rum, Desert Orchid, Comedy Of Errors and Hardy Eustace are all by sprinters or sprinter/milers.

And don’t forget Arkle, Golden Miller, Pendil and Flagship Uberalles were all by stallions who never won a race over

any

distance, so there’s hope for them all, I suppose.

The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Yeats is the obvious one.

AOB has often said that he has an enormous heart – biologically speaking. Is heart size relative to ability or stamina in any way?

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

I wonder what trip Yeats’ progeny would require over the sticks ?

"A test of stamina" says I.

grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 651

AOB never ramps horses to suit the needs of Coolmore of course!!

Sadly anything on the flat that wins at >8f* is automatically dismissed as a jumps sire these days – or exported. One of the reasons I lost interest some years ago.

*unless bred in the purple by a Coolmore stallion.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Von Jawlensky. :lol:

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I’m assuming that the Prix du Cadran is on the Saturday, and not been moved to the Sunday.

Pointilliste

is entered in that and the Arqana sale at St Cloud on the same day.

Half-brother to Peintre Celebre.

A bit unusual to have Storm Cat AND Raise A Native AND Habitat in a NH Stallion pedigree though.

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Defineately Age of Aquarius, he already looks like a 3m chaser! Aussie Rules throws a strapping yearling already,i will keep an eye on his progeny!

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I’m assuming that the Prix du Cadran is on the Saturday, and not been moved to the Sunday.

Pointilliste

is entered in that and the Arqana sale at St Cloud on the same day.

Half-brother to Peintre Celebre.

A bit unusual to have Storm Cat AND Raise A Native AND Habitat in a NH Stallion pedigree though.

Pointilliste is now a hurdler in Noel Meade’s yard.

He still has a h next to him, rather than a g, if anyone wants to rescue him and introduce him to a life of debauchery.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.