The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Poor fields at Perth 27.07.11

Home Forums Horse Racing Poor fields at Perth 27.07.11

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1436

What a small number of runners for the races held at Perth yesterday: 3, 4, 3, 5, 6 and 3. If you add in the non-runners the fields only came to 6, 6, 3, 7, 10 and 6. It must be very disappointing for the various sponsors.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4568

It was a bit disappointing but I suspect a result of the ground firming up rather quickly. The field sizes weren’t bad for the meeting on Tuesday evening, but the ground was changed to good to firm and presumably firmed up a little more under the hot sun yesterday. As often happens with two day meetings there were a few double entries over the two days and only one horse turned out for both. Shades of small fields bumbling around bone hard Newton Abbot/Exeter early season in ‘the good old days’.

That being said, the racing wasn’t bad. Indeed the three runner novice chase was a cracker with the three runners level at the last and precious little between them at the line. I went to one meeting at Scone a few years ago with 25 runners in 6 races, yet there was nothing wrong with the entertainment, and I even managed to back a 20/1 winner!

rob

DaveMonkDaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

Rob, Whilst on the subject of Perth, Is it just the crappy camera angles or do they finish very tired?? The angle on screen must be deceptive as they seem to be legless on the run in. Ive noticed most commentators also struggle to seperate horses within a length of each other till their past the post.
    Would hate to be a betting in running man on this course!!

Dave

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4568

Dave

I’m pretty sure it would be the camera as they don’t typically finish tired. The chasers sometimes wander about because they have to aim to the left after the last.

View from stands and camera positions is head on for much of the straight, and it pays the commentator to ‘flannel’ until the second last flight as it’s very diffiuclt to work out the relative positions until they jump. Commentary position has much the same problem and commentators rely on the cameras for the finish. I wouldn’t be keen on betting in running at Perth, either on or off course.

For steeplechases I tend to go into the middle of the track and stand by the last fence. It gives a good view of the four fences ‘out in the country’, admittedly with a quick move sideways when the advertising hoarding gets in the way, and a slightly better view down the straight than from the stand. You only see horses’ backsides after last, but I catch up with the replay on the screen if it’s close.

Rob

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1436

The racing was quite good and, as you say, the novice chase was a real cracker for a 3-runner race. You couldn’t have asked for better and just shows that small fields don’t necessarily mean bad and unentertaining races.

I think I was just surprised because the fields have been quite good for the last few meetings at Perth and the crowd turnout didn’t look bad either, so expected a few more runners. Ground changes will bring out the non-runners I know but, depending on when original entries were made, I would have thought they’d be expecting good, good to firm or even firm ground at this time of year and not be entering horses who preferred it softer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.