The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Pontefract Monday

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Pontefract Monday

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Having not been racing since the Ebor meeting and as I’m on holiday next week I’m going to pop along to Pontefract tomorrow for what looks as good a mid-week card you will get.

The meeting kicks off with a mile nursery and I’ll be supporting one that nasty Nev looks to have laid out for the race in Diggs Lane. He ran in some decent maidens to get a mark and showed improved form in a hot race (won by King Charles) at Lingfield on his nursery debut last time, staying on well. He’ll be well suited by the step up in trip.

The featire race is the Silver Tankard Stakes, won last year by Nakheel. Johnston has a good record in this and it could be significant he’s sending Empire Day there after just one start. HIs Newmarket form is already starting to work out and he should improve. He comes up against Chesham winner Champlain who bounced back from a poor run in the Superlative to finish fourth in Royal Lodge.  I also thinkSweet Lily and Fishforcompliments have decent chances on their last efforts at the Leger meeting, but neither particularly impressed with their attitude. I’ll probably give the Johnston the thumbs up at around 11/2.

(Edited by davidjohnson at 8:27 pm on Oct. 15, 2006)

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Have a good day, DJ. I’ve never failed to enjoy myself at Ponte. I agree with you about Callaghan’s in the first. He’s just ahead of Deccan Express on my figures. The stiff five should be right up Oranmore Castle’s street in the 3.20 judged by his Beverley win and Gweebarra has every chance in the Tankard on his run behind Caldra at Goodwood. You’ve just got to forgive him his Royal Lodge disaster.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Thanks Gus.

Quite like Rainbow Rising in the sprint. Has bags of speed, so well worth a try at this trip, his Ripon form with the likes of Rising Shadow and Knot In Wood looks pretty good after their efforts at York last week and also has a claimer going places taking 5 lb off in Jamie Moriaty. Add in that Howard’s actually training a few winners at the momemnt and I’m feeling rather bullish.

Gweebara is a horse I’ve got plenty of time for, but he looked to have some sort of physicla problem in the Royal Lodge. I just couldn’t bring myself to back him after that.  

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

DJ – first race gamble is on.  Moved from 10s into 11/2 already.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Sweet lilly wins the listed event. Must give a real boost to the form of Simply Perfect. She must have a good shout in next years oaks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.