The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Police Horses

Home Forums Lounge Police Horses

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9747

When I used to work in London there was nothing I would rather see than the sight of police horses parading the streets their beauty and grace brought a sense of calm to the city..I worked in offices overlooking the steps of St.Pauls Cathedral and we had a regular police horse stationed there called Mon Coeur (My Heart) I got to know horse and rider very well and it brightened my day to see them.

Today I am reading of protests turned to riots in the City and not for the first time of police horses being injured along with their riders and it really worries me that although highly trained horse are being used in these situations they are being tested beyond their limits. Yesterday a policewoman was injured when a horse had a bike thrown at it and bolted..why is this being allowed when so called peaceful riots turn ugly and now hidden behind legal masks who knows who is turning up to stir up trouble CCTV can’t identify them.

I am totally against what happened on the streets of America it was abhorrent and the Police officers involved should pay the price for what they did..but it is all spiralling out of control over here and more lives could be lost and horses and riders injured ..it makes me sad it has come to this and gathering in such numbers when we have just come out of a lockdown is really asking for trouble.

Isn’t it time that they stop taking police horses into battle on the streets. For me as someone who loves horses it is becoming a serious welfare issue.

Jac
    :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22016

Shocking viewing and people laughing and cheering… :negative:
    the only thing I can think of is if they need to move quick to another area, I remember it kicking off at football once and the police horses went charging by to where the action was.

Member since March 2008
    DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5092

It was a thoroughly unpleasant spectacle but my concern is more with the welfare of the injured police officers than with the bolted, frightened horse which as I understand it was uninjured and made its own way back to the stables

No one wants or expects horses to suffer in their line of duty but it happens day in day out: more so I’d warrant on the racecourse than on city streets. Is there really any distinction to be made (from the horse’s point of view) between a police horse unseating, falling or being injured at work than that of a racehorse suffering the same indignities whilst running around and jumping obstacles for our entertainment

The old saw about racehorses living a life of luxury, doted on by their connections applies equally, if not more so, to police horses. That they can withstand the clamour of angry, sometimes violent crowds with equanimity is testament to the remarkable training they must receive and the loyalty the horse has to its rider and grooms; an equanimity and loyalty that could only be engendered by great care and affection

Horses and dogs are a critical piece of the police’s armoury as aberrant members of the public are more wary of them than they are of poor old PC Plod: crowd control from mounties works as almost invariably does the “I’ll send the dog in” warning to concealed fugitives

Horses and dogs in the service of man: terrific they are and we expect a lot of them, and in return they expect a lot from us, and get it

At present I think I’d rather be a police horse than a policeman. Check over by the police vet, consoling warbles from the groom, a manger chocker with nutritious oats and a night’s kip to forget it for the former; stress, nightmares and the foreboding thoughts of ‘tomorrow I do it all again’ for the latter

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9747

Fair points Drone but my concern was also for the riders and the policewoman and any others injured in these dreadful protests and I’m not a great fan of NH although racehorses get injured on the flat and in their fields too.

The police have a tough job on their hands and at football matches as Nathan mentioned the mounted police do a great job dispersing and breaking up the crowds.

Horses rely on human kindness they have no choice and can’t refuse to do what is asked of them as a policeman or woman could. The horses’ destiny and wellbeing is in the hands of his owner and so easily discarded if he fails his duty…
    Hopefully the frightened horse who ran back to his stable will be treated kindly ..I hope so.
    Jac
    :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.