The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Please No Veterans Chase At The Festival

Home Forums Horse Racing Please No Veterans Chase At The Festival

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

Matt Williams has suggested this a couple of times in the Post. Hopefully nobody has taken too much notice. Any new race should be for horses who are likely to be progressive. We already have a very dubious race for the older brigade and it doesn’t make any sense to stage another race for those who can’t be competitive in one of the existing races. The other criteria for a new race should be that it doesn’t detract from the other races. On that basis if the number of races are to be increased a mares bumper would seem the most appropriate addition.

Nothing wrong with the veterans races that are being staged it is just that they have no place on a Championship card unless of course they ditch the Cross Country.

DeadlySins
    • Total Posts 105

Personally I think its great that these grand servants have ‘special’ races just for them, I myself would welcome a race at Cheltenham for them, even in they’re twilight years they are still more than worthy of a big day in the spotlight.

hairruffle
    • Total Posts 91

I too really enjoy these veterans races and they are a chance to see some old favourites so I wouldn’t mind seeing a veterans race at Cheltenham.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4834

I’d welcome a Veterans’ Chase at the Festival to replace a few low key events introduced recently.

I presume the suggestion of the ‘most appropriate’ extra race being a mares’ only bumper was meant in jest?

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Great idea to have a Veterans Chase for the Festival.

Run it on Day One after the Cross Country and restrict it to Conditonal Jockeys run over 3m or 3m3f.

DeadlySins
    • Total Posts 105

Great idea to have a Veterans Chase for the Festival.

Run it on Day One after the Cross Country and restrict it to Conditonal Jockeys run over 3m or 3m3f.

Fair comment, it could be an ideal race for conditional jockeys, give them a bit of the limelight as well as the horses.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Is a chaser really a veteran at 10?

Colin

CarryOnKatie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 566

I’ve already suggested on another thread that the Fulke Walwyn/Kim Muir should be turned into a Veterans Chase – still Amatuer ridden.

To program another staying (i.e. 3miles plus) chase will spread this pool of horses very thinly.

We already have the National Hunt Trophy, Kim Muir & Cross Country – and that’s not including the Novice (RSA, NH 4miler) events and the Foxhunters.

paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4623

I see absolutely no problem with a veterans chase at the Festival.

If you look at the cards for this year there were not that many veterans running in the other races, so I cannot see how such a race would dilute what is already at the Festival.

Veterans chases are very popular and why shouldn’t some of our “old favourites” still be allowed their moment of glory on the sports biggest stage.

I would wager the winner of any such veterans race would probably attract one of the greatest roars of the week as it slogged up the hill.

Bring it on.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

I hope we are not going to be judging the merit of a race just by who gets the biggest roar.

Perhaps the numbers of ‘veterans’ at the Festival was small purely because many of them would simply not be competitive. The William Hill had an awful lot of deadwood in it so why include another race full of deadwood just because it is nice to see a few old favourites.

Given a choice between sentimentality and quality I would take quality any day of the week.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4834

stilvi

That’s fine but can you genuinely say you will get more quality from a Mares’ bumper than a Veterans’ Chase? More promise certainly, but more quality I’m not so sure.

Rob

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

stilvi

That’s fine but can you genuinely say you will get more quality from a Mares’ bumper than a Veterans’ Chase? More promise certainly, but more quality I’m not so sure.

Rob

Obviously it depends what your view of quality is. I quite like the idea of potential quality.

There are many mares only bumpers run throughout the season. A Championship Bumper should attract the best of these. You are not going to get the best handicappers in a veterans race.

As I said before I am not anti veterans races I just don’t think they have a place at the Festival.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2937

A veterans chase would certainly be preferable to that non event, the cross country chase but as Colin points out 10 may be a bit young and it should be confined to 11 years and above.

paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4623

I hope we are not going to be judging the merit of a race just by who gets the biggest roar.

Why not?

The roar would imply those watching the race are involved and enjoying it.

The "merit" of a race for me is founded of the competitiveness of the race, the "quality" is not even a secondary consideration. I could not care less it the race was a maiden hurdle or a Grade 1 Championship race, as long as the race is competitive and exciting.

Give me a competitive lower grade race over an uncompetitive championship race any day.

Given the choice between, for example, this years Champion Chase at The Festival and any one of half a dozen races at "lesser" courses I have seen in the past week I know which have set my pulse beating faster, and it was not the Champion Chase!!!

"Quality" does not automatically equate to "better" racing. Although, of course, a top quality, competitive, championship race cannot be beaten.

Then again each of us look for different things from racing. Some look at it purely as a punting medium, others of us don’t.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

They have one, its called the fox hunters.

My late grandmother told that these so called hunters turn up too a hunt a few times, jump off with the hunt then then bugger off home in order too get quiltified for point too points. Given that my late grandmothers father hunted and her late husband was the master of the Bramham Moor Hunt who campagned and actually hunted his pointers, Freelance and Brass Tacks, I am inclined too believe over any countryside alliance or trainer. :P

Frankly The Fox hunters is a joke, the horses should be horses who not ran under NH rules that season and be trained by people who do not have runners under NH rules. Plus the name needs changing as fox hunting is illegal. The drag hunters or hound runners might be a better name.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.