The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Pitch invasions

Home Forums Lounge Pitch invasions

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1008

As many of you will have seen, there has been a number of pitch invasions at football matches in recent weeks. Nothing wrong with that in itself if everyone remains peaceful but of course some haven’t remained peaceful. I suspect most likely those who like to indulge in watery and powdery substances.

They will naturally be at a loose end on Saturday afternoons for the next few months, especially in the absence of a World Cup*, so many will be turning up at racecourses instead. I for one am looking forward to the first moron who thinks that a track invasion might be a good idea and gets booted by half a ton of thoroughbred for his troubles.

*There is the Women’s Euros being held in England but this will be a family friendly affair and I think a good tournament too.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3624

If only more football fans were like this fellow:

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2439

Disappointed with this new trend I must say.

Wouldn’t want to see it at the Bridge because back in the seventies and eighties we really knew how to do a proper pitch invasion so I share your concerns. None of this poncing around

Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1261

Up the chels Clive!

Shoutout to Emily Davison the OG of pitch invasions.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1008

A special shout out should go to the bloke who thought that taking on Patrick Vieira would be a good idea.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2439

Hasten to add ben that I would have been the last one on the pitch. Think I only went on once and that was after we were invited to

Then I got off again once everyone charged towards the Leeds supporters

Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1261

Yeah I’ve never understood the idea of going to a football game for a fight, kind of defeats the point of even going lol. I definitely wouldn’t want to get involved with the Leeds lot.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4711

“especially in the absence of a World Cup*,”

I know I’m out of touch, but I’m proud to say I think I’ve hit new heights with my reclusiveness.

I’d assumed the World Cup would start next month and that I’d need to go into hiding until it ended.

I now realise after reading the above and doing a bit of Googling it will be in November.

Thanks, Ben!

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26066

Even the streakers leave half their clothes on these days

The headbutt on Billy Sharp was brutal, could have killed him
    I’d punish the clubs by making them play behind closed doors

Member since March 2008
    GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 275

I blame the German’s for starting it after they beat West Ham in the Europa League semi final.
    The stewards there were actually preparing the crowd to run on.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1008

On the subject of the World Cup, even more than the thugs trying it on a racecourses, I’m also looking forward to seeing if anyone tries it Qatar. That really would be an experience for them.

GSP
    Participant
    • Total Posts 275

In 45-50c heat, those out there will be cowering from the heat Richard. If anyone hasn’t experienced temps of that nature, it actually hurts you as you step out from the hotel into the street.

Any ‘mischief’ would be confined to indoors, but suspect the fear of playing up and getting arrested will be a deterrent in itself as to the consequences.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29590

When fewer football fans remember the physical experience of standing behind fences that were stopping crowds from going onto the pitch… you’ll get pitch invasions… And then sheer numbers mean you’ll get the odd idiot hitting a rival. This was always going to happen.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.