The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Perth 2 July

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6212

I”m off to Perth this afternoon for a card which is big on numbers but not so sharp on quality.

After the RP quoted moans from one Scottish owner about the Irish invaders it turned out to be 4-2 to the ‘locals’ on the first days. The term locals refers to UK trainers, but then one of them was Alison Thorpe who probably travelled farther than many of the Irish raiders! Jim Goldie did the business for the Scots, Toshi winning the last.

On to today:

2.20 2m Novices Hurdle

Little in the way of quality here. Pengana possesses the strongest form, the tongut-tie apparently doing the trick at Down Royal after a moderate fifth here. Forretto could be interesting if maintaining form after a long lay-off as he’s a bumper winner and showed a glimmer of aiblity over hurdles.

2.50 3m Novices’ Chase

On established chase form this is between Aggie’s Lad and No Panic. My choice is No Panic who has a 100% record on good or faster, 4 out of 4.

3.20 2m 4f 0-90 Handicap Hurdle

Big on numbers here but decent form is hard to find. Obara D’Avril should be short priced as a last time out winner. The most interesting prospect here is winning pointer Intense Suspense who could just be ludicrously well in off a rating of 69. An outsider who might make an impact here is Dippy Duck, but that’s a shot in the twilight and it’s a leap of faith with most of the runners.

3.50 3m 0-90 Handicap Chase

This could just be an opportunity for SOUTH BRONX in against inferior opposition. This is the best cahnce he’s had since winning here last September and if he puts himself out he’ll win.
    The ‘if they put themseves out’ qualification goes for a few others here. Ballynure and Reckless Venture have both been showing up well of late though aren’t very reliable. Big Bone needs to repeat his Sedgefield effort, but I’d need convincing of his ability to repeat that form.

4.20 2m 4f 0-135 Handicap Chase

A couple of these ran yesterday. Iron Man has been puleld out and it would be asking much of He’s A Hotshot stepped up in company a day after fading in the latter stages.
    GO SILVER BULLET looked a bit decent last time round here, with The Rocking Dock well seen off. I think there’s still more to come from Lucinda Russell’s charge.

4.50 3m Handicap Hurdle

Some bits and pieces of form amongst these and a few could be given a shout at best.

Kells Castle is out again after running his normal ‘close but no cigar’ yesterday. He just seems to lack a bit extra in the latter stages. Paddy’s Honour seems another sound possibility for Lucinda Russell.
    Lady Sambury, Heckley Foxtrot and DukeOfChesterwood were 2nd, 3rd and 4th on Hexham form. Of those my instinct is for Heckley Foxtrot who is lightly raced and seemingly getting the hang of things.

5.20 2m NH Flat

A poorly contested bumper which seems at the mercy of Gordon Elliot’s pointing winenr Screenscraper who should win this if showing any amount of flat speed.
    Now This Is It will probably pick up if Screenscraper disappoints. Mystic Minx may be worth having a look with an eye to the future.

Rob

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.