The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Pat’s Saturday Handicaps

Home Forums Racing Competitions Pat’s Saturday Handicaps

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9988

Pat did win a competition prize back in 2010 and Cormack must have sent it to him..perhaps David still has some archived addresses or emails in his TRF Members files..worth a try.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1478

I have been putting posts up on other threads wanting to know both Pat’s & Ginger’s wellbeing. Ginger’s has been answered he’s moving house and with this lockdown decided that his 10 to follow on the flat was just too much. That’s fair enough, but no response from Pat and hoping it’s just because with no racing for approximately 3 months he might have forgotten.

His Saturday handicap was due to end on July 4th which is why I picked July 11th, however I could give Pat more opportunity to response and leave it until September 5th (day before my birthday B-) ). Jac I really like the bonus points idea of converting a winning forecast into points but the might be strong opposition to it, however might try a new comp similar to Pat’s Handicap but you gain points for winning forecast/tricast with consolation points of just having a winner in the race.

Was thinking of doing his Ante Post one too but this might be too much although I did back my selections in his comp and felt proud when landing big odds.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9988

That’s probably a good idea idea Neil as it would give Pat some time to respond but if you wanted to start it again in his name under the same format on July 11th you would just be holding the fort for him which would be a really nice thing to do if everyone agrees.
    Would just like to see Pat pop his head in and let us know he’s ok. :rose: Jac

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 207

I can only join in with the good wishes toward Pat.

I really liked this competition. Online competitions are a bit of a new thing for me, and I have found that they almost give you a reason to pay even more attention to a race.

I hope that Pat is safe and well, and I hope that he’s just taking a break. Good luck to Red Rum if you do take it up.

What I would say, is that I would be fully behind 1 selection only, it did seem unnecessary to complicate it with a win and ew, or indeed a forecast, which just seems a bit silly. Pick one horse, it either wins or it doesn’t.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17609

Neil, not a comp I play this one, but I’d say you’d be alright to crack on with the Saturday Handicap competition just now. Racing’s back 3 weeks now, and looks as if people are wanting to get on with it. I’m happy to make the call, as it’s obviously a potentially sensitive situation.

Obviously share everyone’s concerns about Pat. All concerned about him, but hopefully he’ll be back imminently, to take over the reins.

Steve75
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1199

That might be an alias Nathan because it’s the name of a character in Spongebob Squarepants!

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22225

Hi Steve.. yes
    I’m sure he signed my letter he sent me Pat Starr but that was a long time ago

Member since March 2008
    Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1478

Decided to do this comp next week. However if Pat turns up I’m more than happy to let him continue (if he wants to) .

The are some changes though,

1 Heritage Handicaps will be automatic choice as usually they the most competitive.
    2 Placings will be

15 runs or less first 3
    16 to 20 first 4
    21 to 30 first 5
    31+ first 6

3 Place terms are always a quarter in this comp (like Pat did)

4 Two selections in the race (like Pat did) A win selection and an each way selection. Reserves are advised.

5 The race will be selected Friday night, as Friday I’m usually working and scored on Sunday.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I’ve decided not to include the forecast as bonus points but decided to do a separate comp might be on same race where you pick 4 selections this time.

You’ve got 40 points in the race and they are covered in full forecast, tricast and 1 point win amongst the 4 selections.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9988

Look forward to you taking on Pat’s Handicap competition Neil lot’s of people been missing it :good:

Understand you not including the forecast Bonus points it works well as it is.
    We have so many comps to look forward to now if you add another new one based on forecasts surely that’s more work for yourself and less study time and also covering the same ground. Personally I’d be happy with just the one compy.
    Jac :rose:

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1478

You might be right about the forecast/tricast. Although I personally had my biggest win quite a few years ago from a forecast and tricast bet. The might not be enough interest to warrant such a comp.

My first race looks to be the 3.50 at Ascot, will post Friday night.

raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4858

Looking forward to it Neil :good: :good:
    Like you my big wins have been forecasts(exactas) in the big races but hey ho lets just try and get the winners

EuroalienEuroalien
    Participant
    • Total Posts 303

Thanks for doing this Neil, looking forward to this competition. :good: :yes:

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1478

Will use this thread for Rules and scoring, but will post each race in it’s own thread.

1 EACH WEEKEND I WILL POST THE MOST LIKELY OPEN LOOKING HANDICAP RAN ON SATURDAY

2 2 DIFFERENT SELECTIONS ARE NEEDED. 1 WIN & 1 EACH WAY

3 YOUR EACH WAY SELECTION WILL BE AT QUARTER ODDS AND MUST BE
    IN THE TOP 3 IF 15 OR LESS IN FIELD,
    TOP 4 IF 16 TO 20 IN FIELD,
    TOP 5 IF 21 TO 30 IN FIELD,
    TOP 6 IF 31 PLUS IN FIELD.

4 RESERVES ARE ADVISED

5 THE COMP WILL LAST 26 WEEKS BUT YOU ONLY NEED TO SCORE IN 16 TO COUNT IN THE MAIN SCORE
    I WILL STILL SCORE PEOPLE WITH LESS THAN 16 WEEKS SELECTIONS BUT IN A SEPARATE LIST

6 NO NEED TO INTRODUCE YOURSELF JUST PUT YOUR SELECTION IN THE RELEVANT THREAD, AND GOOD LUCK

7 YOU’VE GOT UNTIL OFFICIAL POST TIME TO ENTER, OR CORRECT YOUR SELECTIONS. I WILL TAKE THE TIME FROM WHAT IT SAYS ON YOUR POST, NO EDITING, ANY ADDITION/CORRECTIONS MUST BE SEPARATE POST.

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1478

YOUR SELECTIONS WILL BE AT THEIR STARTING PRICES. EACH RACE WILL HAVE 4 POINTS STAKED ON THAT’S 2 POINTS WIN & 1 POINT EACH WAY :yahoo:

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.