The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Paddy Power Gold Cup 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Paddy Power Gold Cup 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    trapper john
    • Total Posts 195

i think long run would have to have a great chance in this as he could be head and shoulders above these only thing that would worry me would be his jumping also think dancing tornado might go well at big price

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

the sky is clear tonight in chelt – was light rain up until about 6.30 pm – clear and cold now

no rain forecast – the going wont get any softer than it is atm

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Very surprised by how big Poquelin’s got, you’d think that he’d be the e/w bet of the race with his course form, top weight or not.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Imperialcall
    • Total Posts 21

Edgbriar looks like a good ew bet at 25/1 (1/4 odds 1-5) to me

• Total Posts 1982

Recent trends suggest that a 6YO / 7YO who is prominent in the betting, boasting course form, should go very close.

Great Endeavour

ticks all the right boxes.

Paul Nicholls has something of an indifferent record in the race, but both Taranis and the ill-fated Granit Jack were both in with a shout before falling at the second last in recent years.

His horses should always be respected in this contest and

Poquelin

should run a big race despite his big weight.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

David Pipe surely isn’t in the same league as his old man when it comes to pocketing the bigger races?

The more I look at it, the more I think Long Run is going to absolutely hack up. I struggle to believe that he’s grown quite as much as Robert Waley-Cohen suggests, but he’s got a hell of an engine and the two-and-a-half mile trip should be ideal. Nicky Henderson’s horses aren’t exactly short of work, either, so whilst 3/1 may not be all that enticing, I wouldn’t want to take Long Run on.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

I’m usually deeply suspicious of good things but Long Run ticks most of the boxes here and if he doesn’t make any serious errors he ought to win.

I think Tchico Polos is a big price at 29 now on BF. Nicholls has had so many hotpots turned over in this – maybe this unheralded one could run a big race.

The other one with a progressive profile that I like is Sunnyhillboy. Twice the price of Great Endeavour but has to be near that one at the finish.

• Total Posts 276

I was quite impressed by Edgbriar’s win at the previous Cheltenham meeting … jumped and travelled well throughout and quickened like a decent horse … 8lb rise for that and might not quite have the class to win but not many miles on the clock and looks to be still improving … must rate decent ew value at 33’s this morning.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Where the hell did that result come from! anyone that found that then hats off to you.

What an absolute pin job this season is with results like that, form book has no relevance.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think Little Josh will be thereabouts if he gets a clean round of jumping and I may have a small each-way. Mad Max is where my win money’s going.

I only had £2 quid each way and a tenner on Mad Max so never won much but as someone else mentioned, his form with Weird Al was good and it’s not the biggest shock in the world.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

So much for him ‘not jumping under pressure’ [last time I listen to a jockey..] but then again he was never under any pressure! What confidence young Sam gives horses. Congratulations, Phil.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Yep well done Phil, wouldn’t have been in the top six I’d have picked but there ya go!

Another feather in the cap of the potentially top class Weird Al too!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Cheers :)

I still haven’t watched it yet as I was ill today and it’s not on ATR. Hopefully they’ll show highlights tomorrow before the racing starts.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Phil

Watch it here, anytime you like;
    http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Phil

Watch it here, anytime you like;
    http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/

Thanks for that mate. I only thought ATR had them for free, I’ve bookmarked the site now :)

Was impressed with his jumping (apart from one he had to reach for) he looked like he was enjoying it and did well to make all in that company.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Having backed him for last years RSA at 100/1 I was really pleased to see this horse come of age and win a good race. Didn’t go unbacked today either.

Thought Mad Max ran a cracking race, he seemed to blow up 3 out and NH said he tired in the ground. As far as Long Run goes he’s a HHH=Harry Hype Horse if ever there was one.

I ended up not backing Log Run as for me he’s simply not a likeable sort. I also believe Walley C rates the horse much higher than Nicky Henderson actually does.

He had absolutely everything going for him yesterday and the bookies who truly believe there’s one born every minute make him shorter than Imperial Commander :roll:

Don’t be surprised if Mad Max joins Long Run at Kempton and finishies in front of him.

Mac9
    • Total Posts 58

I must admit I allowed my heart to rule my head yesterday and I backed Long Run. I fell for the hype and my first reaction that he was bitterly disappointing.

However, putting things into perspective, I don’t think the horse ran a stinker. To the contrary, I believe he ran a good race considering he is only a five year old running in a handicap for the first time out of novice company, giving weight to some experienced yet improving sorts.

The hype surrounding him is not his fault – I still believe he’ll go on to be a top notcher albeit over a flat track rather than an undulous course such as Cheltenham. I can’t see him worrying Kauto Star in the King George and anyone who has a 5/1 voucher for him must be scratching their head. Next season? Maybe…

I don’t believe that going down the hurdling route with him is a viable option. I think that connections should stick to the King George plan and then maybe head to Ascot for their 2m5f chase in late January/early Feb then maybe bypass Cheltenham and head to Aintree and/or Sandown.

Don’t write him off yet – it’s worth casting your mind back to Kauto Star’s 2005/2006 campaign (when he was 5 going on 6) to remember that, though all may not go to plan, all is not lost!

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.