The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Paddy Power Gold Cup 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Paddy Power Gold Cup 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Forpady’s owners must be tired of banging their heads against a brick wall running for place money in grade 1s over in Ireland, knowing that their horse still surely has it in him to pick up another decent prize. The lure of Cheltenham and one more big prize could well be enough to send him over, especially given his favourable mark. If he does make it to post the prices that he’s currently trading at on Betfair are ludicrous. I’ve had a little nibble at 99s and 119s as well as a bit to place, but not enough to hurt me if he doesn’t line up. He’d certainly buck a lot of trends but at the prices it’s only a small risk to take.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Champion Court and Havingotascoobydo both out.

trapper john
    • Total Posts 195

Weights just been released for this, and I must admit I raised an eyebrow when I saw that Forpadydeplasterer had been allocated 10st 13lbs. Not sure if he’ll even line up, but his owners do love a day out at Cheltenham(as most do). There’s worse 40/1 shots out there 8)

noticed this fella was entered and was waiting to see his weight agree with you bozlike hes a big price and conections are not afraid to send him across the sea and have a go. At the weights he could easily run into a place and you always get the feeling if everything falls into place he could win another big prize a very underated horse imo

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Do any of you good people know whether Solix is an intended runner ?

A 6yo course winner with less than 11st……trendy !

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Thinking about

Notus De La Tour

at 2:27 in the morning when I should be writing an essay…

Anyway, I think he is going to be underpriced and overhyped for this race. As a precocious former juvenile hurdler who went "pot hunting" in Ireland as a novice, you have to suspect that he has much less improvement in him compared to the late-maturing jumps types in this race.

I suspect the Fred Winter and the valuable novice chases he went after last year were the ‘big days’ for him. He will, of course, be a few points shorter in the betting than his ability merits due to the Pipe connection with this race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2047

Having already put forward Poquelin as a likely winner, I must put in a good word for

Time For Rupert

Top class staying hurdler{gave Big Bucks something to think about}and first season novice chaser, was made warm favourite for RSA Chase at the Cheltenham Festival only to dissapoint.{similar profile to Grands Crus}

Highly tried his form since has been sketchy without being hopeless.

Coming back in trip and off a fair handicap mark{11-4], the big field and fast pace could bring out the best in him.

No forlorn hope!

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I really faniced For Non Stop, which I backed at Aintree (twas the only winner I backed that day :( ).

I have been put off by the comments about his weight, and yes, he could have been eased a bit at Aintree instead of being encouraged to decimate the field.

Still, lot to be said for an unexposed horse on good terms with himself.

Hmmmm, I thought 9/1 was worth a punt, but I’m wavering now. :?

Zip

• Total Posts 1217

Not sure if Triolo D’Alene will get in for this, but he’s completely unexposed and could still be anything. He looked very good and gutsy on his British debut at Ascot and whilst not so good at Cheltenham, he still looks to have a bright future. Only negative is his lack of experience but could be one to follow.

Walkon is another I like and goes well fresh.

Looks a pretty special renewal.

• Total Posts 2440

Walkon off 10-6 and 2m 4f round Cheltenham could be worth a bet depending on the price.

Grand Crus off 11-6 is another worth a look, Pipe also thinks he is well in at the weights.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

No bet race for me.

The cream appears to have risen to the top of the market but if there was ever any value I think it has disappeared.

Grands Crus has now got plenty to prove. He checked out very tamely at the Festival and as far as I am aware no explanation was offered. This will be totally different to the small field condition races and his jumping will need to pass the test. I don’t think he looked the most natural of jumpers and it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up back over hurdles. Certainly more chance of that than winning a Gold Cup.

The progression of Hunt Ball was one of the stories of last season and at least he has handicap form in the book. Having said that there appeared to be no excuses at Aintree and he might well have peaked.

Hard to see any obvious improvers lurking amongst the rest. Michael Flips could run well if the rain stays away but he was pretty disappointing on his reappearance.

Blunkett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 416

Seeing as For Non Stop and Notus have both stitched me up I’ve thrown a couple of quid e/w on Forpady for this one now. Pretty good course form, and now attractively weighted. May be vulnerable to something less exposed these days, but at the prices I think its a cracking bet. Trainer is pretty upbeat too.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Just checked out the betting for this and the odds are appalling. Grands Crus 2/1 Hunt Ball 9/2 Al Ferof and Walkon 7/1 shots. What a load of rubbish that is. No wonder some are turning to roulette instead!!

Hunt Ball’s owner reckons he has improved another stone this season and should be unbeatable in his first two races. He will only run four times this year, with the Gold Cup being the ultimate aim. Grands Crus was bitterly poor at Cheltenham and I couldn’t touch him at 2/1. Walkon was about 14/1 when I first considered him for this but I was still in two minds at those odds, at half that price I think he has an overall disappointing profile since his promising second in the Triumph Hurdle and he can be passed over without concern of regret if he does prevail here.

New characters for Viz magazine surely await:-

"The British Bookmakers and their unfeasibly small testicles"

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

• Total Posts 1217

Just checked out the betting for this and the odds are appalling. Grands Crus 2/1 Hunt Ball 9/2 Al Ferof and Walkon 7/1 shots. What a load of rubbish that is. No wonder some are turning to roulette instead!!

Hunt Ball’s owner reckons he has improved another stone this season and should be unbeatable in his first two races. He will only run four times this year, with the Gold Cup being the ultimate aim. Grands Crus was bitterly poor at Cheltenham and I couldn’t touch him at 2/1. Walkon was about 14/1 when I first considered him for this but I was still in two minds at those odds, at half that price I think he has an overall disappointing profile since his promising second in the Triumph Hurdle and he can be passed over without concern of regret if he does prevail here.

New characters for Viz magazine surely await:-

"The British Bookmakers and their unfeasibly small testicles"

Whilst Hunt Ball was truly phenomenal last season, you have to take his owner’s comments with a pinch of salt I feel, he will indeed have to improve immensely to win this but you can’t help but love the horse what what it’s achieved.

Triolo D’Alene still intrigues me, hoping it gets in!

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7869

Call me mad but now on DIVERS at 16/1 to win now he goes well at CD and should run well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 274

Evening all. Grands crus I couldn’t have at the price, I don’t think he is a battler and he’s sure to find plenty here in the rough and tumble of a large field. I actually thought poquelin’s last run at ascot over too long a trip was solid and should have him spot on for this, back at his beloved Cheltenham over his ideal trip and a winnable mark. 25/1 suggests he has been overlooked and is a very attractive EW option given the fragility of the market principles at Cheltenham.

• Total Posts 614

I’m not having a bet. Al Ferof is a horse i haven’t lost faith in yet, so i will be interested to see how he runs. I appreciate his mark is high when all is considered.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I’ve thought about backing Divers as well, although I’d ideally want a much bigger price than the one on offer

. Ferdy, Cheltenham handicaps and Timmy Murphy being somewhat aggrieved about his lack of rides these days makes for an interesting combination.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.