The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

P Hills

Home Forums Horse Racing P Hills

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

There is always plenty of negative stick thrown at Dick Hills on here, much of which I agree with.. And while I do like Michael Hills as a jock I think Patrick Hills is about the best claimer around at the moment and i’ve been following him and he’s doin pretty nicely for me…

Anyone else got a view on young Hills esquire?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Would he get the same number of rides if he wasn’t a member of the tribe?;)

Colin

aston
    • Total Posts 168

Thats beside the point seabird.<br>Would he get the same nuber of rides if he was brutal?<br>No. (please dont go down tha magnier road).<br>He is a talented jock. (Hills).

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

If I had a horse that I thought needed weight off it’s back to win then I would choose him ahead of anyone claiming 7 at the moment.. Cool head, doesn’t panic and will only get better in a finish.. I think he’s worth following in handicaps…

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

He’s about as good as James Reveley. Would far rather have Stainton claiming 2 lb less. Only need to looks at Ripon yesterday to see his merits. Replaces Kim Tinkler in the seller, Burlington Fayr puts up his best effort.

Back to Patrick Hills, when he’s pushing his mount out, why does he seems as though he’s trying to hide behind the horse. I think he’s weak and still has plenty to learn, but that why he claims 7 lb. He’ll be claiming that for a while if he continues to ride predominently for his uncle.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I saw the race yesterday DJ and would agree, a good ride, but I think the ground favoured those on that side with only the favourite Tokyo Jo on the other side producing any real challenge..

I just think the guy has plenty of tactical nous and he is only young so the strength will develop over time.. And I think more people than his uncle will give him rides

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Agree that young Patrick needs to get rides for someone more successful that Uncle John- saw he had a ride for Stoute at Epsom yesterday. Richard’s connections with the Maktoums will do him no harm! <br>However I believe he does not do light weights which may restrict his chances.<br>What do forumites think of other apprentices?<br>William Carson is very young and has plenty of time but he too looked weak in a finish and doesn’t seem to be getting rides.<br>Is the Mark Lawson doing well up north one and the same as the apprentice once hailed as the most promising in Epsom but didn’t seem to get chances?

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

Hills also rode for Godolphin recently in a hcap.<br>Of course he has a lot to learn but he looks tidy enough to me and was excellent on Hadath at Brighton recently.<br>Agreed about Stainton and Lawson,been impressed wih both and it just goes to show sometimes a young jockey has to be very patient as they have both struggled until this season for a fair while.<br>If I recall Mark was originally with Henry Candy before spending a bit of time riding in Canada before coming back over her to ride for Mel Brittain.<br>As Mel has few horses these days (although that is about to change) he presumably felt the need to go somewhere where he would have more chances to get noticed and he has taken that chance with David Barker.<br>Bryan Smart has used him quite a bit also.

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

He got a bit of positive publicity on TV the other week but I have to say he looked very amateurish and ineffective on one of the highlighted horses.

A long way to go.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

He nearly got Connect to win last week at York, I thought he gave him a good ride, although as I was on at 25’s I was hopin he’d get up to win!! Maybe once he matures he’ll be stronger in a finish… But there’s not a lot he can do about that at the moment

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

We clearly read a race definetly Aragorn, I though Connect would probably have won under professional handling.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Definitely or differently? The horse missed the break but he didn;t panic and guided him through the field to give him every chance but was done by a stronger finish and I think it was a johnston horse doin the usual never say die thing they do… Perhaps a more mature jockey would have gotten him up but I still thought tactically it was a good ride

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Sorry for the confusion, should say differently.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.