The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Oscar Whisky

Home Forums Memorials Oscar Whisky

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

Broken a hind leg. Thanks to the open ditch in combination with the low sun.
    Rest in Peace Oscar!

rcoverton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24

Sad news :(

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

Confirmed

What a bloody horrible day.

RIP

jibsa
    • Total Posts 164

Guttted I an absolutely gutted. I feel this the most though I guess that is wrong. Great hurdler but I do not think it ever took to 2m Grade 1 fences. RIP Oscar and to the connections, though unlike the owners prediction "it never saddly had it’s day over fences"

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Indeed, I echo the sentiments here. Oscar Whisky was a very poor jumper of hurdles, with a number of falls combined with lesser efforts in big fields suggesting that his jumping technique was below average even before his chasing career began.

The same trend followed over fences, with only a very intelligent aggressive ride getting him round with a good sight of the fences in the Paddy Power. Hindsight is so glorious (though I did mention

all

of this in the Paddy Power thread last month), but a tightly-packed field at a ragged two miles around a tough track was asking for trouble with such a bad jumper.

None of that matters now he’s gone I suppose :( If 2m 4f was a championship distance, Oscar Whisky would have cleaned up for a half a decade. Even so, he had ample talent to win top races at 2 miles and outclass most at 3 miles. He’s a big loss. RIP

• Total Posts 811

Horrible news … RIP Oscar Whisky :cry: :cry: :cry:

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

@ The Young Fella:
    Thanks for expressing my thoughts to 100%.
    This is no hindsight at all, but I fully agree with you that he was in the wrong race and that he could only jump properly when facing just 3 or 4 runners.
    What a sad and stupid waste of equine life.
    This is just too sad and Sandown is no schooling track.
    Pool Oscar

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

He wasn’t jumping very well prior to the fall. Terrible shame. Hard to believe he’s no longer with us. RIP

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Yes a terrible shame. I did wonder what he was doing in a race like this but Henderson must have thought he was his best chance with a few injuries in the yard. Also seemed to be backed quite heavily so confidence was there although was this because of Henderson’s good form on the day going into the race. Just to me seemed really strange him going for a race like this with that kind of horse. RIP Oscar :cry: :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

Echo the sentiments here, the wrong horse taking on the wrong race over the wrong code. What more is there to say, bar a great HURDLER died today in a race he never should have been in. Ive never backed the horse over the bigger obstacles for those very reasons. Seems we are the only ones who saw that. RIP Oscar

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

@ Racing Daily
    Can’t even remember a horse of Champion Hurdle potential to become a Grade 1 winning chaser.
    Hurdles and Chases two completely different games.
    A pity that Oscar Whisky had to start his chasing career at a very high level novice wise. The most pathetic thing I have ever heard of is when horse make their novice chasing debut in a handicap of the same mark they had over hurdles. A novice chaser has a handicap mark of ZERO. No matter how many Champion Hurdles he has won.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Can’t even remember a horse of Champion Hurdle potential to become a Grade 1 winning chaser

Sizing Europe

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 16969

Heartbreaking news today with the loss of both Oscar Whisky and Ballybriggan. :cry: :cry:
    When I saw Barry Geraghty try to get Oscar to walk the sickening truth dawned and I couldn’t watch any more, he was a wonderful, brave servant to Nicky Henderson and his team who must be devastated by his loss..
    RIP Oscar Whisky I wish we could turn back time for you but sadly no. You will always be remembered beautiful boy. :cry:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    linnet
    Participant
    • Total Posts 101

Horrible fall and to see him in such distress with that shattered leg was unbearable. Gone but will not be forgotten.

Meerkat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 66

Broken a hind leg. Thanks to the open ditch in combination with the low sun.
    Rest in Peace Oscar!

I’m afraid the sun played no part in the accident as it is clearly behind the runners on C4 pictures at that time.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Bit confused by Geraghtys quote about the race, saying something to the effect that he was having to get him to jump low to stay in contention. Especially with him being an iffy jumper.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Can’t even remember a horse of Champion Hurdle potential to become a Grade 1 winning chaser

Sizing Europe

Dawn Run

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.