The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘ONE RACE’ racehorses

Home Forums Horse Racing ‘ONE RACE’ racehorses

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Bachelor Duke – won the Irish 1000 Guineas in 2004 as a maiden beating Azamour into second place and failed miserably in his next and only start.

Remember that well. Is Bachelor Duke now at stud?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Devon Loch (1956 Grand National). That fall … :roll:

You could argue that it was jockey, Dick Francis’s most (in) famous moment too.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

may get into hot water for this, but, I thought Desert Orchid dominated in an era where the opposition wasn’t that great. One of his big rivals, Kildimo, was a hit ‘n’ miss kind of character who ran some shockingly poor races.
    In my opinion, horses like Wayward Lad, Burrough Hill Lad, Arkle and Silver Buck would’ve eaten Dessie for breakfast.

Desert Orchid ran for a good few seasons and its hard to really believe that the contendors were rubbish right through that period. Of course, great horses make then others look ordinary

The GC form line with Yahoo doesnt bother me at all. Every condition imaginable was against DO that day.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

He had already won a Grade 1 race, but there’s only one race that Johar will ever be remembered for.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

He had already won a Grade 1 race, but there’s only one race that Johar will ever be remembered for.

And what a great Hollywood Derby it was! :lol:

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

Rather reversing the idea, but what about Carvills Hill as a horse remembered mainly for the one race he lost (the Gold Cup), rather than the many races he won.

AP

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

…………….could say that about Crisp as well, AP!

Colin

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

…………….and Devon Loch……………….perhaps Dancing Brave?!

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Rather reversing the idea, but what about Carvills Hill as a horse remembered mainly for the one race he lost (the Gold Cup), rather than the many races he won.

AP

Nice touch, Alan. You could say the same about quite a number of Grand National horses in recent years, such as Joss Naylor.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Although Admiral did win the Chester Cup in fairness..

• Total Posts 22

Tante Rose.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

George Washington!

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I’m surprised that Hawk Wing’s Lockinge hasn’t been cast up!

And Celtic Swing’s Racing Post Trophy win.

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

peter beaumonts HUSSARD COLLONGES, never mentioned before the sun alliance, never did anything after it.
    also, bit before my time, but CHARTER PARTY won a gold cup and did jack **** after it.

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

Celtic Swing was a fantastic two year old. Although his racing post trophy win seems the highlight of his career, we must never forget that, before then, he murdered Singspiel by 8 lengths.
    He could/should have been a champion but things kinda went haywire after he won in france as a 3 Y O.

I often feel that Celtic Swing would have been a smashing racehorse (as a 3 Y O) if he’d had a far stronger trainer such as Sir Michael Stoute, Henry Cecil, etc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

In addition to Yahoo, I’d probably nominate Granville Again as an addition to the fame-from-one-race tribe, although I freely admit I may have missed some noteworthy performance prior to his 1993 Champion Hurdle victory.

His career after that is swiftly dismissable, though – successions of poor performances, and a miserable final stage of his career spent achieving diddly squat under the tutelage of Muriel Naughton.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 263

Granville Again didn’t do much after his Champion Hurdle win but in the season before (91-92) his form was pretty strong. He was unbeaten for the season going into the 1992 Champion Hurdle and he looked all over the winner until he fell at the second last flight. Royal Gait went on to win that day.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.