The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘ONE RACE’ racehorses

Home Forums Horse Racing ‘ONE RACE’ racehorses

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I was pondering today (in another idle moment) over horses whose entire reputation relies on one performance. The ‘one race’ racehorse.

Foinavon is an obvious example I suppose.

The other one that springs to mind is Arazi. Decent two year old but possibly falsely deemed a wonder-horse after that freaky Breeders Cup exhibition.

rainbow-promises
    • Total Posts 126

Norton’s Coin in the Gold up

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

The other one that springs to mind is Arazi.

It’s incredibly harsh to suggest Arazi was a "one race" racehorse or just a "decent" two-year-old. After a workmanlike win in the Papin, he went on to win the G1 Morny by three lengths, the G1 Salamandre by five lengths and the G1 Criterium by three lengths from Rainbow Corner, Seattle Rhyme and St Jovite. I distinctly recall being hugely impressed by the style of his Criterium win, which was described in the official Form Book as being gained "easily." He would have been remembered as a top juvenile even if he hadn’t gone to the Breeders’ Cup.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Anything that wins the Derby these days, Authorized aside.

I’ve never really been a fan of Godolphin, probably due to the inherent British aversion to success, but the exploits of the likes of Doyen and Papineau following big-race victories were very disappointing. They fall firmly into the category of ‘one-racers’ for me.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Anything that wins the Derby these days, Authorized aside.

Would that include Galileo, Sinndar and High Chaparral LGR?

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Alright, alright smart arse :D

I of course meant the likes of Sir Percy, Motivator, North Light and Kris Kin – the last four, prior to the aforementioned Authorized. I think they are more covered by the ‘these days’ remark.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Amato.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Golden Fleece ’82 Derby winner.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

sublimity? :wink: :roll:

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I’m far from Sir Percy’s biggest fan, but as he was an unbeaten 2yo that won the Dewhurst and finished second in the Guineas, it’s rather unfair to say he was a one race horse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Yahoo, perhaps, for running Dessie as close as he did in the Gold Cup? On the basis of other runs either side I never thought he was quite as good a 3m+ chaser as some suggested.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

was going to say Troytown, but have just read up on the races that he won on his way to the 1920 National, the Champion Chase and the Grand Steeplechase de Paris…..if you allow 2 races but with only 2 days between them and not much else before or after you could include Signorinetta….

rainbow-promises
    • Total Posts 126

Admiral in the King George Stakes, he runs occationally over jumps, mostly on the flat now, not the same horse he used to be though

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Vintage Tipple.

trackside528
    • Total Posts 137

Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo..

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

Yahoo, perhaps, for running Dessie as close as he did in the Gold Cup? On the basis of other runs either side I never thought he was quite as good a 3m+ chaser as some suggested.

gc

That’s a very good point you make there …

Yahoo always came across to me as a horse short of top class. OK, he had some decent wins to his name but they’re nothing one could say were memorable and his gallant second to Dessie is all I really remember him for.

I may get into hot water for this, but, I thought Desert Orchid dominated in an era where the opposition wasn’t that great. One of his big rivals, Kildimo, was a hit ‘n’ miss kind of character who ran some shockingly poor races.
    In my opinion, horses like Wayward Lad, Burrough Hill Lad, Arkle and Silver Buck would’ve eaten Dessie for breakfast.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Bachelor Duke – won the Irish 1000 Guineas in 2004 as a maiden beating Azamour into second place and failed miserably in his next and only start.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.