The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

O'Brien juveniles

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Seems to me over the last couple of years they have a different approach with them, meaning nearly all of them need their debuts. Does anyone have any stats on O’Brien juveniles first and second time out this season and last, and what the average sp of them on their debuts is?

Black Sam Bellamy
    • Total Posts 441

I remember reading an interview with O’Brien in which he attributed a lot of this to the influence of Fallon.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Peeping Fawn, classic example of training on the course. Virginia Waters was campaigned in a similar fashion, although she got going quicker than the aforementioned.

There are still ones that win first time out however (Henrythenavigator, Holy Roman Emperor) and I think they target the quick maturing types and give them agressive campaigns.. Others they effectively train on the racecourse. I’ve only been into racing heavily for about 3-4 years and they’ve been doing this most of the time i’ve been following the sport. It seems to me though that they have got more and more quality horses than ever. This years 3yo crcop despite no HRE is still pretty impressive in terms of quality and quantity (Particularly the latter)

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

All the vibes and reports suggest Ballydoyle (this year) are housing the best bunch of two year olds for some time. Bar the odd and obvious exception (amongst the colts) they have numerous highly regarding types yet to face the racecourse.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Aidan

Any views on Wassily Kandinksy? Of all O’Briens maiden runner’s, he’s the one I’ve been most taken with. All things being well I could see him developing into a Racing Post Trophy candidate later in the year.

aidanldrebin
    • Total Posts 171

Agreed David he did take the eye and I would be shocked if he doesn’t win next time out.

Talking of O’Brien juveniles the three they apparently rate highly are Jupiter Pluvius, Halfway To Heaven and Bashkirov.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

He is probably a nice colt in the making David but I would be surprised if he was right up there in the pecking order. But its hard to know with those Montjeu type animals.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.