The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Oaks Day

Home Forums Horse Racing Oaks Day

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Given that I won’t get to watch the Oaks live today (thank God for Sky+), I am like the anti-Christ today, I would prefer to see the Oaks card run on the Sunday after the Derby, in much the same way that the Guineas are run.

Now I know some of you "traditionalists" still haven’t gotten over the fact that the Derby is no longer on a Wednesday but it can only be a good thing for the sport if the biggest races are more accesible to the public.

You don’t see Arsenal playing Man Utd on a Wednesday afternoon on a work-day do you?

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Would prefer to see The Derby on the first Wednesday in June and the Oaks on the following Saturday.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

What revolutionary thinking, ’twill never ‘appen!;)

Colin

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Hah! Isn’t it amazing how the word "Traditionalist" has  become stigmatised.:biggrin:  New Labour huh!

So tomorrow, we have a magnificent, historical raceday run at the same time as an England friendly at a time when football is by some way the pre-eminent sport in the country.

Clever thinking.;)

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Max,

Are England playing Brazil twice – once this evening and again tomorrow?

AP

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

LOL. I’ve just heard on the BBC. I’ve spent the entire week thinking it’s on a Saturday. :biggrin: Thanks AP!

*embarrassed smiley*

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Personally, I think that running the Derby on the same day as (and within minutes of) the Vorwerk Thermomix Germany Selling Stakes, will draw too much attention away from Epsom.

They should have had the Derby on a different day (or in the Evening), so it gets the attention it deserves.

Steve  

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Don’t know about which day it should be on but I had a cracking day on friday (Despite doing my brains).. If anyone gets the chance to go on one of the open top bus affairs then do it.. Great view, less cramped, plenty of bookies, and some tidy women… Happy days..

Oh and for the first time I truly understand the whole fuss about the course at Epsom.. The camber on the home straight (Never mind the corner and hill) is massive… The reason they run against that rail is because its like running on a wall of death.. I was very surprised..

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

I was there for the first time on Friday too Aragorn, and came away with the exact same impression of the track. It really has to be seen in person to be believed.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

The best way to describe the camber is to imagine it is much like a banked indoor running track… It must be about 15 degrees or something mad like that!! I was really surprised as I thought it was just round tattenham corner where the camber took effect.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.