The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Novice punter

Home Forums Horse Racing Novice punter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Hi there, I have just started betting online (only ever did the G Nat and Chelt G Cup before) and only betting very small for fun on Scoop6, Placepots and Lucky 15s etc, where I’ve covered my stakes sometimes :roll: :)

I realise I am amongst some very experienced racing fans here, and as a very novice mare, would like to ask a question about Sunday NH meetings.

I couldn’t help noticing how many horses were pulled up on Sun 10th Feb (9 at Exeter and 14 at Hereford) on a lovely day, good/soft ground, nothing apparent that would knock the stuffing out of them. :? So I would like to know if it is general practice to run half-fit or poor quality horses at these Sunday meetings to give them a bit of a run and some experience? Are they a waste of time betting-wise? :(

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

Sunday is the same as any other day so I wouldnt let the day put you off.
    I wonder how many of those pulled up horses were in hunter chases, I would guess quite a few of them. In Hunter chases it is quite normal for half the field to be pulled up. Not sure why that is but it definitely happens all the time.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Generally because they are older horses and much loved by their respective yards Zoso – so once the chance is gone, the horses are not knocked about and pulled up.

Mike

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Monet’s Garden beat Kauto Star earlier this season … on a sunday. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Thanks both of you, I can understand that attitude with much-loved old timers, but that points to the idea that they are just out for a "fun-run" :?

I used to be quite good at picking them out in the paddock on TV (not betting, just for fun) but it seems harder the more info you have to go on! :? You start to realise that they like certain courses, or go noticably better for one jockey than another. One thing that keeps me cheerful is the knowledge that the professional tipsters in the papers etc don’t really get it right that often either! :wink: They are nearly as likely as me to pick one that looks great on paper but is having a grumpy day! :)

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Pick your own NH only way to go for stay at home punters.

Only two ways to bet as well………very small stakes with a chance of a huge payout or watch and wait……bet every day you will lose…much better spending your week preparing for a Saturday and restricting your bets to 2 or 3 races.

I only bet mid-week if something I have been waiting to for runs ……or I hear something positive about a horse.

Happy punting and put an X rthough Sundays, unless there’s a good race at a good track, is my advise.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

It depends what you like, but Sundays have some fantastic cards, especially in Ireland. In fact, if you don’t watch the Irish racing on a Sunday you will probably miss most of the Irish trained winners at the festivals.

Mike

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

will watch this thread with great interest; I had a good spell of ‘beginners luck’ a few years ago and have always done quite well with the National and a few other races; having had a rather successful Cheltenham last year I decided to really apply myself to betting this year; however, the more I thought I’d learned the more confused I got and the ‘gut’ instinct that I used to get about certain horses or races has deserted me..result is I hardly have a bet these days. I wonder if men and women approach gambling in a different way?

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Agreed….but they would stop a runaway train over there and you wouldn’t know it. :lol:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Don’t forget that Sunday runners get appearance money as long as their Official Rating exceeds a given limit, or they are not yet in possession of one.

It tends to be around June and July that you see a lot of failed point-to-pointers pitched into novices’ hurdles around the likes of Newton Abbot and Worcester, thereby gaining a few increments of such money at least.

There are the odd diamonds among the muck, though – one of those failed pointers last who made his bow in an awful Abbot 2m6f maiden was something or other called Joe Lively.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3213

Going back to the meetings on Feb 10th, Timeform reported soft ground at both Exeter and Hereford, not good to soft.

Also, eight of the horses pulled up at Hereford were in a low grade 3M 7F handicap chase – it’s the extreme distance that produces that figure, not the fact that it’s on a Sunday.

Half of the pulled up horses at Exeter ran in the Graduation Chase won by Crystal D’Ainay – in that case it wold be the difference in ablity between the best and worst runners.

There was no hunter chase on either card.

AP

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

Hereford normally has a very high pull up rate. 24% of all chasers who run there are pulled up. Exeter is normally quite high as well at almost 21%.

Katchit
    • Total Posts 115

I can’t speak for "owners" generally, but will say that the most important thing to consider is the long term wellfare of the horse and so making sure they come home safe is important…

Beyond that, the only time you want them to be given a hard time by the jockey is when they are in danger of winning and need encouragement!

If they’re not going to win, why flog em

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

will watch this thread with great interest; I had a good spell of ‘beginners luck’ a few years ago and have always done quite well with the National and a few other races; having had a rather successful Cheltenham last year I decided to really apply myself to betting this year; however, the more I thought I’d learned the more confused I got and the ‘gut’ instinct that I used to get about certain horses or races has deserted me..result is I hardly have a bet these days. I wonder if men and women approach gambling in a different way?

Moehat
    Who hasn’t been there?
    The more depth you go into, the more you tie yourself in knots. This often leads to one of 3 choices; give it up as you have; go ever further into minute, and often more meaningless investigation; or take a pull and just concentrate on the basics and gut instinct.
    It isn’t a once and for all time decision either, because even if you choose the third option, the ‘devil in the detail’ will keep tapping you on the shoulder and telling you it’s all an intellectual process, which is exactly what the ego wants to hear, when much of it is simple common sense.
    In his book Gut Feelings, Greg Gigerenzer tells of a share-dealing competition organised by investment magazine Capital which attracted 10,000 entries from within the trade.
    88% percent of these experts, with their in-depth knowledge and super-fast computers to keep them ahead of the markets, were out-performed by one little group.
    The ‘group’ from which the author had drawn his so succesful advice? – a 100 Berlin pedestrians; 50 men and 50 women, who were asked which names they recognised from the portfolio, from which the top ten companies were chosen and retained throughout the competition.
    Brains aren’t everything! :wink:

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Welcome to this site Nighthorse

I note that you state you are only betting for fun and tend to concentrate on Scoop 6s, placepots and lucky 15s and that you sometimes cover your stake.

Overall they are the type of races bookmakers tend to promote and the reason is they are hard to win!

Overall you will do better getting away from the idea that you are just betting for fun. Bookmakers dont offer odds just for fun and everything they do is from a hard nosed business attitude.

Try to addopt the same approach and its overall not really that hard not just to cover your stake but to make an overall profit!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.