The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nottingham racecourse

Home Forums Horse Racing Nottingham racecourse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ivanjicaivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Hi

I am going to Nottingham races for the first on Wednesday. I will be travelling north up the M1. The aa.com says I should exit the M1 at 21a and use then A46/A606/A52/A6011/A612.

Is this the best route, as it seems better to me to stay on the M1 till Jc 25 then A52 it through Nottingham itself, or is there a reason to avoid this seemingly simpler route?

Many thanks in advance

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

The most direct route to Nottingham from the South, via the M1 would be to stay on it until J25 then swing a right over it and follow the Nottingham signs for about 5 miles,you will eventually pick up a sign for Colwick Park,follow them to the course,en route keep an eye out for both sets of floodlights for the football grounds,both are 2 minutes from the track itself,it should take about 20mins from J25 to the course,traffic pending of course and as Richard Hughes quite rightly says in his column you can get stuck in traffic very easily,it should be a good card one or 2 highly regarded 2yo maidens set to run.

ivanjicaivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Thanks Kingfisher – I guess the Nottingham town centre traffic is what aa.com is suggesting we avoid then. Yes, it is a nice card. I notice the great Bella Colora/Reprocolor line is represented by Shirocco Star in the 3.55 carrying Egon Weinfeld’s distinctive silks – the RP had a nice piece about this family a week or so ago.

Looking forward to it on what should be a beatiful day!

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

The weather is fantastic up here today,i will be setting off myself at 1pm,unfortunately i have to travel through the city centre to get there but at that time of day it should be fine,coming back however can be a nightmare,particularly if you haven’t had a winner,i like the look of

Chokurei

in the 3,20,solid e/w price at 12/1 and has ran in better company than this and been placed methinks!I too am a big fan of the Helena Springfield organisation and remember

Milligram

well.This filly trained by Hughie Morrison (Shirocco Star) is a massive 25/1 and looks a stayer in the making on pedigree,i would have thought softer ground was in order though.she will be worth a look.Good Luck! By the way the Premier enclosure is the place to be,the view from the balcony is second to none,i hope you find the course to your liking.

Fran the manFran the man
    Participant
    • Total Posts 403

Just put my head in here earlier to have a nosey when i seen KF had made a reply and i’m glad i did, a win and a big price place,KF if i ever meet you you’re owed a pint or 10 my good man! :D

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

Yes, he’s a good bloke to have around! Godolphin do well at Nottingham, Al Zarooni seemingly taken over from Bin Suroor. I’ve been the victim of some painful photo finishes at Nottingham, winning post being at a strange angle. Great little track, though.

trapper john
    • Total Posts 197

well done kingfisher great picking hope you had a few quid on them both also well done ivanjica for metioning shirroco star also

ivanjicaivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Thanks guys, and well done on getting on some winners/each way snips!

It was a lovely day and for me the filly to take out of the day was Henry Cecil’s only runner, Running Deer, 4th in the 3.55. If you watch her Beverley flop first time out, Eddie Ahern was had in by the stewards as she was never put into the race, however to be fair Eddie was looking after her as she totally missed the break and the race had gone from her within two furlongs. If Eddie had cut her in two (as some punters may have wanted) she would have been gone forever. Ahern gets a bad press in my opinion, and he is as talented a jockey as we have on these shores, but sadly for him the betting public confuse considerate rides on inexperienced juveniles as being bent.

Anyway, she went off 9/2 2f at Beverley, but on Wednesday this week she drifted from 8s to 12s. Unusual for a Cecil filly in a Notts maiden, but clearly the Beverley race had convinced punters she was no good.

On what was in effect her real racecourse debut (to my mind Beverley was no more than a decent bit of work) she encountered traffic problems throughout, ran as green as grass, and still managed to get 4th, heading Meehan’s paper favourite Farleaze near the line.

Queally only gave her a couple of back handers to keep the stewards happy, but she was running around throughout, and murdered after 2f by the Mark Johnston newcomer, failed to handle the bend, and was impeded 2f out when the principals were taking dead aim at the winning line.

To encounter such problems, she did admirably well to finish 4th, and I think she is a winner watiting to happen. It may well be Cecil draws stumps this season, however I am sure she has masses of improvement to come, and maybe a set of blinkers might be the ultimate key to this very likeable filly.

In the paddock she was as relaxed as they get, and led the field around as if she owned the place. When things fall into place, this filly maybe surprise a lot of people and be capable of taking higher rank.

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

The drama continues at the OK Corral this afternoon,the 3 protagonists literally fighting out who will be this seasons Top Jockey all go head to head in a fascinating card at a much more overcast Nottingham than last Wednesday.I expect all 3 to ride a winner today although i hope Kieran can get a double up at least,i have never seen him so determined to be Champion Jockey and when he is, it will shove it right up those who have written him off,in fact there are certain members of the racing fraternity who would rather see Amanda Knox open a Butchers Shop rather than Kieran become Champion! If the team in the Blue corner are going to have there usual winner here today then this

Estourah

would have to have a hell of a chance,simply on the fact he finished 3rd to Carlton House as the 2/1fav at Newbury last year,he trades at a rather generous 4/1 currently.

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Having been a regular racegoer to Nottingham for almost 30yrs now i like to think i know what goes on at the fairest course in the country and yet as yesterday again proved when those huge ‘Emirates’ horseboxes pull up with the finest Arabian bloodstock eager to run on board nobody bats an eye! I remember the days when Sir Henry would send one up and we all took notice and if the Kentucky Kid was on board the 2/1 would go quicker than a hand signal,should Sheikh Mohammed fly in to see his mauve and white colours it would only add to the occassion.Yesterday we had the pleasure of Dr jekyll (Frankie) himself turning up to ride these magnificent beasts and bearing in mind his own strike rate is 40% but when he dons the blue silks its virtually 1 in every 2 wins then to see 10/1 about

Fennell Bay

was like seeing a box of liquorice torpedoes falling into my lap,his debut behind his stable companion Trois Vallees was not as bad as it appeared as Ajtebi was in all sorts of barging matches before finally letting his mount coast home and again the price and stats far outweighed that one negative,the Nottingham die-hards ensured he wasn’t returned at that incredible price,incidentally i wouldn’t touch

Estourah

with anyones money after seeing him in the flesh yesterday,that horse has a wall eye and a mind to match,he’s not interested in trying to win unlike King Kieran who will battle this one out to the line.I did note that everytime Sylvestre tried to make all,the horrible swirling wind played havoc with his tactics.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.