The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Northern Sprint Handicaps. Ban them

Home Forums Horse Racing Northern Sprint Handicaps. Ban them

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Ok its not just Northern but they do seem to be infect cards north of the Trent far more than down south

Someone here recently alluded to the fact that “northern sprint handicaps” were the worst of racing and too bloody right

Dull horse. Dull trainers. Fat smelly owners and nothing more than a game of bingo. Best illustrated by that midget trainer (forget his name) who use to run about 15 in each race

I say this because as much as I fancied going to York this week ( a great course and city) its a long way to travel for about three proper races. I also recall a visit to Thrisk where only one race was over 6f

Time to hive these “races” off. Slap them all on one card on one day for slack jawed pissed up bingo players

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Would the “midget trainer” be Dandy Nicholls?

Broadly agree with you; however, I still find “all weather” (sic) racing during the turf season the lowest of the low.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Thats it. Thats him.

Personally I have no big problem with surfaces. Would prefer turf but a race is a race.

Captain Robbo
    Participant
    • Total Posts 929

The AW racing has some occasional gems. Enable made her debut at Newcastle and was unbeaten in 3 AW races.
    Many races are trash but we do see plenty of great horses start off on the synthetic surfaces. Many aw races are excellent if you search for them and embrace them.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

I don’t mind AW in the winter but there shouldn’t be any during the turf season. Just my opinion.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6004

The extension of the Ebor Meeting to four days has just diluted the overall quality: more is less cf. Cheltenham

Sprint handicaps don’t do anything for me and I swerved them when betting on the Flat; but each to their own I suppose

Just been to Fred the Bakers near the racecourse and there were a group of the paunchy and odiferous – as in too much Brut Splash On – topping up with his excellent savouries. Slightly seedy gents of a certain age, slightly self-conscious in their loud suits

A uniquely amusing lot the racing tribe

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Much prefer a sprint to a staying handicap full of old broken down gelded boats.

BUY THE SUN

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

I suppose thats where im coming from Drone. With a marked preference for jumps, I need a fair bit of persuading to travel far for a flat meeting. I like York but its really diluted (worse than cheltenham imo) and sprint handicaps are the dogshit in the flower bed

Also if like me, you aren’t one for staring vacantly into pint after pint and dont wish to spend an afternoon listening to some pissed up sweaty northerner telling you the same story seven times on the trot |(been there) then its a long gap between proper races with the bingo Dandy Nichols (although hes brown bread?) freakshow benefits popping up throughout the afternoon

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Thats cleared it up. You are a southern snob Clive. I thought as much. Stay darn sarf, maybe all Group races will be at ‘Ass-cett’ one day. So you can tip your top-hats and have a circle-jerk 52 times per year. Ponces.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

Looking at York’s 28 race card, I have to wonder what makes it so unique or such a great 4 day Festival…

Okay, the Juddmonte and the Yorkshire Oaks are true Group 1 races, nothing wrong with them. The Lonsdale doesn’t bother me a bit, the Great Voltigeur is a good G2 race which really belongs there as do the Galtres, Gimcrack and Lowther. I also like the Acombe and the Convivial Maiden Stakes. But apart from those 8 races, i don’t even bother who wins or who runs in the remaining 19. The Nunthorpe, the Ebor and the rest are pretty much lotteries.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Lol. I love a wind up

That’s about same for me ruby although I like the Ebor even though (apart from last year) I never get it right

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Agree with the comments about the Ebor meeting. Stretched out to four days, there are far too many undistinguished handicaps which are too competitive and make no appeal for betting. It would work much better as a two day meeting with some top group race action supported by a smaller number of handicaps.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

The world is increasingly run by accountants and, in order to squeeze the last profitable drop of juice out of any orange, big meetings are being extended and encompassing the Saturday.

Sunday will follow that.

Cheltenham – Tuesday to Sunday
    Royal Ascot – ditto
    Goodwood – ditto
    York – Wednesday to Sunday

I predict we will see all of the above in our lifetimes – oh, and with live music at the weekend at least.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Sounds like Galway and Listowel. One or two good races each day and a lot of dross. But just because it is marketed as it festival it gets treated as if it is important.

Salut A Toi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 194

Another example of the “core supporter” being alienated.

What percentage of the crowd, mostly attracted by the chance to “dress up” and/or drink themselves stupid all afternoon (as promoted relentlessly on ITV), would have any idea about the quality of the racing?

Those of us that actually enjoy seeing Group class horses are increasingly a) a diminishing minority b) supremely irrelevant to the bean counters.

It would be better if they moved all the pattern races to the Wednesday and then ran the handicaps on the other days so I could ignore them.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7470

I sincerely hope that the original post on this thread was intended as a parody, otherwise the barriers are going to be manned come Ayr Gold Cup day!

That said…

“Time to hive these “races” off. Slap them all on one card on one day for slack jawed pissed up bingo players.”

…Ayr are doing their best with Gold Cup, Silver Cup and Bronze Cup. We look forward to the introduction of Tea Cup, Egg Cup, Butter Cup in the next few years! Hey presto a full card, and the Butter Cup would give Alan Berry a shout with Economic Crisis.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

Alan berry is a great trainer. Up there with O’Brien Cecil and Fabre

There is no parody from me

(It was a bit of a wind up but a serious point underlying it.it’s seriously lottery racing IMO and simply means that I won’t visit certain meetings which I might be inclined to do so. ….Not that anyone’s bothered)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.