The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Non-runners getting worse

Home Forums Horse Racing Non-runners getting worse

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I remember the issue of non-runners was discussed on this site recently and seem to remember there was an announcement from the BHA that they were going to address the issue, however to my eyes the situation has got worse. I understand there might be problems with too much rain or the lack of rain however this can’t be the only excuse?

So far today Newton Abbot has 7 non-runners, 12 at Redcar and 11 at Stratford which is just ridiculous. Is it any wonder people don’t bet so much on the horses nowadays?

Participant
    • Total Posts 899

When BHA announced the crack down, the number of self certs tumbled. It has taken just a few weeks to drift back to the old bad ways. Perhaps they have called BHA’s bluff – ie seen it as all talk and no enforcement.

It is a bit ridiculous when self certs allow horses at Redcar to pull out because of the going when the going is Good. Good should not damage any horse.

Enforcement by BHA is like being savaged by a proverbial sheep.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

The current state of play is best summed up by an interview I saw with Edward Lynam on Bedlam Saturday a couple of hours before the July Cup. Referring to Sole Power’s participation he claimed that, like the effects of the French Revolution, it was far too early to say. I think his exact words were that the horse hadn’t even been entered yet! He continued that they weren’t required to enter them until 45 minutes before the off.

He knew the current regulations alright. We don’t have 48 hour decs in this country. We don’t even have 48 minute decs. It’s 45 minute decs for all races these days.

Anyone fancy a bet on the football?

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

I’ve had a few in the last few weeks, where it has cost me money, although partly my fault. I usually bet Lucky 15s, the bookie giving me treble odds one winner, but if a non-runner slips in you don’t get the treble odds. This Saturday I had an 8/1 winner which would have got me back £25 for the £1 lucky. But a N-Runner means I only received £19. I should stipulate on my betting slip that any non-runners are replaced with the Fav for that race. Although this can go against you if you have 2 or 3 winners, you at least have a run for your money.

Can’t really blame the trainers, if there is a deluge overnight or in the morning, or alternatively a hot dry spell for 3 to 4 days which can change the ground significantly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 819

6 out of the 9 horses listed this morning are non runners in the 8:25 at Windsor tonight.

I was assuming the ground must be Hard to Firm with Concrete in places but no, it’s G/F with Good in places!!!

The last few weekes especially have been a nightmare for anyone betting the night before or even mid to late morning.

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

Can anyone explain why the going stick reading for Windsor is 8.7 (going described as "Good to Firm, Good in places") leading to 18 non-runners at this stage (17 because of the going), and yet at Ayr the reading is 8.8 ("Good, Good to Soft in places")?

There are "only" 4 non-runners at Ayr from 60 declarations against 71 decs at Windsor.

How does the going stick work to give different descriptions from virtually the same reading?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

The going stick gives different readings depending on the type of soil – so the clay at Ayr reacts differently to the riverside gravelly subsoil at Windsor.

The best way to put the going stick readings into context for a specific course is to use this archive of past readings and their associated going reports, subdivided by course:

http://maps.turftrax.co.uk/iframe/going … eindex.asp

tony321
    Participant
    • Total Posts 368

A lot of jumpers double entered this weekend and pulling out of their second entries doesn’t help the non runner situation

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

It’s a waste of time bothering, it’s an utter farce but the BHA do absolutely nothing.

When have they ever expressed concern regards all the non runners and lost levy from punters backing them?

Just a feeble statement from them about self certs.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

There was a horse drawn in the car park at Chester recently, forget who, but it was of course a non runner celf cert, only reason given was (other).

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Lots more non runners this weekend but what will Rust & his cronies say or do? Any advance on nothing?

They should get rid of 52 hour decs for starters.

tony321
    Participant
    • Total Posts 368

Salisbury was decimated today

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.