The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Benefits

Home Forums Lounge Benefits

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

From Peter Hoskins in the Spectator Coffee Shop blog:- (nb IB = Incapacity benefit)

the number of under-25s claiming IB has gone up by 52 percent since 1997.

Why?

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

Obesity and alcohol abuse?

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

The first thing to say I suppose is that you wouldn’t expect all that many 16-25 year olds to be getting IB (or the new version, the name of which escapes me for the moment) in the first place so a 52% increase might not be a huge number. But it is an eyebrow-raising stat, nevertheless.

I’m not familiar with the details of the administration of that benefit, but there may well have been changes in the points system that I believe is used to determine entitlement. There have also been several changes in Social Security Regulations since 1997, so the conditions of entitlement may also have been changed. Finally, it is sometimes the case that welfare rights groups periodically encourage take-up of benefits from certain sections of society. All of these things may have had an impact.

It would be interesting to see the numbers involved, if you have them, Insomniac.

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

I think its due to the fact that if you say your a bit sad at the moment, you can claim IB.
    It seems to me that new labour wants to have pity on anyone who can think of some reason why they cannot work!
    The benefit system is all to easy, unless your honest.
    In my experience, if you tell them the truth you will get nowt!

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

I think its due to the fact that if you say your a bit sad at the moment, you can claim IB.
    It seems to me that new labour wants to have pity on anyone who can think of some reason why they cannot work!
    The benefit system is all to easy, unless your honest.
    In my experience, if you tell them the truth you will get nowt!

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

New claimants with issues will be claiming ESA. Less fun than IB….

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

My cousin was on IB for years because she was a heroine addict, she was too busy scoring and shop lifting to work.

Let’s face it, there isn’t enough decent work to go around. If they extend the retirement age out past 65 to pay for Gordon Browns wee public spending errors, then I will be on it too. There’s no way I’m dying on the job, or bumping trolley off cars in Asda carpark in my dotage. They can **** off.

:D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.