The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

No Dross from Southwell today

Home Forums Horse Racing No Dross from Southwell today

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Hey Mr Bookie’s Rep …no junk to show on the AW today …the weather came to the punters rescue :mrgreen:

you need to get some new aw tracks up and running fast …therwise racing ‘s rulers will be very miffed …

Has ATR closed yet ???

AW my arse

:D

no idea
    • Total Posts 684

Yes what a joy, no all weather.

Long may it continue.

Superb NH racing at Leopardstown and Newbury

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Yet again, the term all-weather proves a wild misnomer. Some weather, unless the weather is too bad, might be more accurate.
    It would be interesting to know how many times various weather problems such as frost, snow, iced-up racing surface, flooding and fog, have claimed so called all-weather meetings.
    Southwell has certainly had a run of bad luck with its all-weather meetings in the last few years.
    I think the term artificial surface racing has been mooted, or something similar, so as to take away the false idea that they are all-weather.
    I think I would prefer to watch some racing, even if it’s poor all-weather fare, than none at all during particularly bad weather spells when all turf racing is abandoned. I think I might be in a minority on that, though, Ricky.

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

If Southwell can’t cope with temperatures of -4C I think they’re going lose more meetings this winter. I am sure that the other A/W tracks would race following similar temperatures.

I can add though that the roads in Nottinghamshire have been treacherous over the last few days. I have travelled on main roads in the county since Boxing Day that have seen very little gritting. Safety for all going to the races should always be considered.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Looks a grand place to go racing, does Southwell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prMX9cBKKCE

Definitely on the "to-do" list for 2015.

That Sprinter Sacre gallop at Newbury yesterday resembled a lot of actual National Hunt "racing" these days.

Nevermind, some good competitive fare at Lingers this afternoon.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Cav, Southwell is indeed a grand place to go , used to have a massive travelling sweet shop , fish chips plus mushy peas were always world class 8)

Friendly relaxed place, very much to be recommended on a nice day , its hellish when it rains

No complaints with course or management , just the dross racing

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Crusty …good post imo , thing is if it gives you enjoyment , then good on ya

personally I think its dross to the extreme , but we are all different

enjoy it , better still go and enjoy it even more in person

Participant
    • Total Posts 537

Wolverhampton can be OK for sudden improvers if you can find those runners that have been hiding their talents. The rest is dross.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I think the term artificial surface racing has been mooted, or something similar, so as to take away the false idea that they are all-weather.
    I think I would prefer to watch some racing, even if it’s poor all-weather fare, than none at all during particularly bad weather spells when all turf racing is abandoned.

Likewise. Any racing beats none for me, though I’ve long stopped referring to the action at Southwell as "all-weather" – it’s strictly "artificial surface racing" or "synthetics" as far as I’m concerned. Cue rant, mostly aimed at artificial surface racing’s detractors, from 13 months ago:

http://thatracingblog.blogspot.co.uk/20 … eight.html

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

It would be interesting to know how many times various weather problems such as frost, snow, iced-up racing surface, flooding and fog, have claimed so called all-weather meetings.
    Southwell has certainly had a run of bad luck with its all-weather meetings in the last few years.

The floods of 2007 are well documented and did indeed put Southwell out of action for quite some time. Since then, its record of abandoned Flat meetings reads as follows:

2008 – no losses from 64 Flat meetings
    2009 – no losses from 64 Flat meetings
    2010 – one loss from 60 Flat meetings (21/02/10)
    2011 – no losses from 52 Flat meetings
    2012 – 10 losses from 52 Flat meetings (flooded November-December)
    2013 – 11 losses from 52 Flat meetings (flooded January)
    2014 – one loss from 50 Flat meetings (29/12/14)

So, that’s 23 losses from 394 scheduled fixtures – a loss rate of 5.83%.

If accepting that the floods constituted circumstances beyond anyone’s control, however, the loss rate for the remainder comprises just two fixtures out of 373 at 0.54%.

I expect most turf courses would give their eye teeth for a loss rate as tiny as that over a protracted period of time.

I also expect that there were brays of not-all-weather-then-hahahahaha when that fixture was lost in February 2010. Sigh…

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Honestly, who gives a stuff what it’s called? I call it the All-Weather, if people wish to call it Agglomerated Mixed Artificial Surface Racing, that’s fine. It’s just a name, not a legally binding contract.

As GC’s figures clearly show, the attrition rate is as near nil as dammit. I’m staggered to see the winter of 2010/11 had no losses whatsoever despite some very low temperatures over a two month period. I remember travelling north of Birmingham on Christmas Day 2010 and the mercury was reading -10 degrees mid-afternoon!

Mike

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

GC

A simple question

do you work for the bookies in any capacity ???

many thanks :mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

No sir, not I. Do you?

gc

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Nope ,,,but only a bookie apologist would ever see Southwell in any sort of positive light

please get a life ,,,its plainly dross racing ,

:D ….imo etc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Nope ,,,but only a bookie apologist would ever see Southwell in any sort of positive light

A lover of racing in all its forms also would. And does here.

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

It’s thanks to the AW that old trojans like General Tufto have their own version of glory days. Bring it on!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.