The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nils Desperandum

Home Forums Horse Racing Nils Desperandum

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

I hold Venetia Williams in high esteem, but I was abit puzzled why she elected to run the Grand National favourite at Uttoxeter, under those conditions,  the weight burden and only 3 weeks to the "big one".

I agree the prize money was reasonable, but in my humble opinion only, I thought it would have been a race to avoid leading up to having more than a good chance at Aintree..

Whatever, it was a great loss to racing and I would like to extend my sympathy to Nils’ connections.

regards,

doyley

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Thought it was a perfectly logical race to go for, more so than the Gold Cup unless they could foresee it was going to break down. Connections thought it imperative that the horse had another run before the "Big" one in 4 weeks time not 3.

(Edited by yeats at 2:01 pm on Mar. 19, 2007)

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Firstly, very sad to see this talented animal lose its life and venetia is one of my fav trainers too

But target was fair enough. Personally i want to see more horses campaigned ambitiously rather than covered up all season to ultimately do sod all

Nichols has proved it can be done and with Kauto has perhaps gone some way to reversing a tiresome trend

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I don’t think it was a strange race at all, the distance was fine that’s the distance the horse liked and was proven at. They obviously thought a place in the race would of been a nice set up for the Grand National.

I think its very easy to criticise race selection after teh event. If the horse had won and was now 8/1f for the Grand National would you still say it was a strange race selection?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

You only have to look at how many times Nils used to run in a season to see that this was nothing really out of the ordinary. He probably needed another race before Aintree, and a slowly-run Midlands National probably seemed a better option than the break-neck paced Gold Cup. My only slight doubt about race choice was why not stick him in a nonsense 2m4 hurdle or something, as 4 miles just 4 weeks before the National is probably a wee bit undesirable.

It’s a great shame, as his presence in the big one would have definitely made a big difference. And 10/1 meant 5/2 a place, surely a give-away for a horse that was 4th and 6th in the past two years, and was carrying no more weight off a career-high mark?

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Friggo on 6:04 pm on Mar. 19, 2007[br]<br> My only slight doubt about race choice was why not stick him in a nonsense 2m4 hurdle or something, as 4 miles just 4 weeks before the National is probably a wee bit undesirable.<br>

<br>That would certainly be the de rigeur route for many horses successful in the National in recent times, agreed, but we can never presume that one regime fits all horses, I guess.

Bear im mind that Lord Gyllene won the 1997 National only three weeks (oh yeah, plus the extra two days c/o the IRA) after trying to make all in the Midlands National, and whilst that was on a sound surface it was still 4m+ worth of exercise, when all is said and done. Moreover, this in turn was only five weeks after he’d participated in the Singer And Friedlander, back in the days when it was still a marathon contest and recognised Midlands National trial.

One further consequence of poor Nil Desperandum’s demise is that you now have to go back to Willsford in 1995 for the last horse ever to win another race after prevailing in the Eider Chase – of all those to have won it since, only Philson Run remains in training and with any notional chance of breaking that hoodoo.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Quote: from graysonscolumn on 6:28 pm on Mar. 20, 2007[br]<br>One further consequence of poor Nil Desperandum’s demise is that you now have to go back to Willsford in 1995 for the last horse ever to win another race after prevailing in the Eider Chase – of all those to have won it since, only Philson Run remains in training and with any notional chance of breaking that hoodoo. <br>

Wow, that is some stat. I remember old Tyneandthyneagain had a horrible run of bad luck after his Eidur, ending up in his sad demise in last year’s National.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.