The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nijinsky

Home Forums Horse Racing Nijinsky

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

From Racing Post
    Fans of the great Nijinsky may want to tune into ITV4 at 7pm this evening as there will be a 15-minute documentary about the champion racehorse’s Triple Crown win in 1970.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Thanks for the heads up Nath. Let’s hope ITV do a few more in their build up to the new coverage.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

Thanks Nathan…will set the recorder :good:
    Wish it had been a bit longer.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

More like 5 minutes than 15 but very good none the less you can see where Richard Hughes got his riding style from.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

There was a full length documentary made on him called The Year of Nijinsky, I think. (I saw this and the ones on Mill Reef and Sir Ivor in a charity shop as a boxed set recently, they wanted £30).
    Wish they could have shown the whole documentary.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

There was a full length documentary made on him called The Year of Nijinsky, I think. (I saw this and the ones on Mill Reef and Sir Ivor in a charity shop as a boxed set recently, they wanted £30).

It’s “A Horse Called Nijinsky” (The Year of Sir Ivor). I got a 6 DVD box with those, the Mill Reef and 3 more – Arkle, Dancing Brave & Frankel for a couple of quid in a charity shop recently. Bargain! I haven’t actually got round to watch any yet though – might not play!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Didn’t Orson Welles do the voiceover

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Didn’t Orson Welles do the voiceover

He did indeed. Well remembered!

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Tonge….it wasn’t from a charity shop in Sale Cheshire was it? Wondering if they dropped the prices. I did once get a Timeform Annual for £1 in a charity shop, I gave them £5 because they are so damned expensive, even then it was a bargain.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Tonge….it wasn’t from a charity shop in Sale Cheshire was it? Wondering if they dropped the prices. I did once get a Timeform Annual for £1 in a charity shop, I gave them £5 because they are so damned expensive, even then it was a bargain.

No – Eastbourne. Unwanted Christmas present I reckon. Still a chance of getting a racing bargain in charity shops as not many of their staff are racing fans

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

I knew someone who worked in an inner city RSPCA shop who said the manager put loads of Pony Books and racing books in the shredders as she thought racing and horse riding were cruel and gave out the wrong signals for their shop. Some funny people out there.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Remembered to watch this at 7.20 pm :wacko:

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1757

He won each race so easily and he topped that with a breathtaking win in the king George the following year. Just a pity he got ringworm after the leger as he would have scooted the arc. A legend of a horse.

Louise12
    Participant
    • Total Posts 372

Keep an eye out in places like Tesco at Christmas. I got mine there, and it was only around a tenner. I was so chuffed, because had been trying to find ‘Something to Brighten the Morning’ (Mill Reef) everywhere for ages, and had given up. It had been a total obsession for a while, and then I walk into feckin Tesco…

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

There’s a box set on Amazon for about £30:

he package consists of 10 discs:

1) A History Of The Flat Since 1900 (85 mins) DVD Extra – The Complete 2004 Derby
    2) A History Of The Jumps Since 1900 (85 mins) DVD Extra – The Complete 2004 Gold Cup
    3) Horseracing’s Greatest Ever Races Volume One (90 mins) DVD Extras – Full race replays of Arazi (Breeders Cup), Shergar (Derby), Sea Bird (Arc), Royal Academy (Breeders Cup), Dancing Brave (Arc) and Bustino v Grundy (King George).
    4) Horseracing’s Greatest Ever Races Volume Two (120 mins) DVD Extras – Full race replays of Red Rum (1973 & 1977 Nationals), Desert Orchid (Gold Cup), Dawn Run (Gold Cup) and Arkle (1964 Gold Cup).
    5) The Year Of Dancing Brave (37 mins)
    6) A Horse Called Nijinsky (55 mins)
    7) The Story Of Mill Reef (50 mins)
    8) The Year Of Sir Ivor (48 mins)
    9) Arkle – Portrait Of A Legend (57 mins)
    10) 12 Greatest Ever Grand Nationals (165 mins) DVD Extras – 1963 – Ayala pips Carrickbeg and Mr Frisk and Marcus Armytage win the 1990 Grand National.

Link – https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DRC1CA/ref=s9_simh_gw_g74_i5_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=PN6HGFRQHQP0MKXTVPHR&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=26de8ef0-2ad7-412c-8634-6cd03b7b73e2&pf_rd_i=desktop

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 611

Missed it sadly. The best horse I ever saw race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 616

Hope the racing coverage on ITV is going to be better than that.

Why not show the 3 races in full, with a bit of narration either side, instead of just 3 min 40 s?

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.