The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Night in Milan?

Home Forums Memorials Night in Milan?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Reported as a fatality on Twitter today after his fall in the 3.30 at Doncaster yesterday. Can anyone confirm?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

****…. Switched from fences to hurdles back to fences then back to hurdles and now back to fences again.
    If you’re that clueless about the right discipline give him what deserves even if only 10 years old.
    Let’s hope the news is wrong.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Reported as a fatality on Twitter today after his fall in the 3.30 at Doncaster yesterday. Can anyone confirm?

Sadly Tonge, I can confirm. ATR mentioned it this morning.
    Night In Milan was usually such a good and enthusiastic jumper of fences, not many horses are described by Timeform as “jumped well” over the National fences.

In second yesterday when seemed to jump with the leader. Taking off far too early.
    Had a fantastic record at Donny, so if going out anywhere – good it’s at a place he appeared to love.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

I am doing my best to ignore the usual suspect’s blame game.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

Good boy Ginger. And he was only 2 from 12 at Donny.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Here is Timeform Race Passes comments on perhaps Night In Milan’s finest hour.
    2014 Grimthorpe
    “Night In Milan had optimum conditions, similar to when successful at this track earlier in the season, and produced a career best to land this valuable prize; disputed lead, jumped well, went with enthusiasm, pressed on from 4 out, in command after 2 out, ran on; it’s very unlikely that he’ll get in the Grand National but the Topham over the same fences might be a more suitable race, anyway, dropping back in trip unlikely to be a problem, and both his positive style of racing and sound jumping ought to stand him in good stead on that course”.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

By the way, he got up okay and ran behind them with everything seemingly alright after his fall. He ran alongside the field until the 3rd from home. What happened to him???
    Can’t believe it…. He was fine all the time. He even went past them after the race finished.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Good boy Ginger. And he was only 2 from 12 at Donny.

You may judge a horse by how lenient the handicapper is ER, I don’t. Besides…

Night In Milan is a 3 times winner at Doncaster actually.

That Grimthorpe win came off a mark of 136.

Plus:
    Won a hurdle race on his start before the fatality, not to his chase ability but still best ever hurdles performance, and that at the age of 10.
    Good 3rd in last year’s Grimthorpe off a mark 10 pounds higher (146) than previous win.
    Also 3rd in Skybet Chase, running to his best off 146.
    Head 2nd off 144.
    Before the Grimthorpe win, won a handicap by 6 lengths off 130, a then career best.
    Lost by a rapidly decreasing nose off 124, possibly given too much to do on first start at the course.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

Three wins is correct!!!
    Well anyway, it doesn’t matter how good he was. The sad thing is that he died. But how? He even finished the race in front of them.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

If switching from hurdles to fences is the reason for Night In Milan’s death; then how come on other chase starts he’s “jumped well”? You could argue going over hurdles has concentrated his mind, so he jumps fences so well.

Judging a horse by one jump and not taking his past jumping in to consideration is using hindsight stupidly and is convenient for you. Night In Milan was generally a good jumper, therefore running over hurdles hasn’t done him any harm in the past. There’s no reason to believe it would/did in this case.

Running over hurdles is also a well known way of prepping Grand National winners.

Night In Milan (a little behind the leader) just jumped at the same time as the leader; too early. Nobody’s fault, just one of those tragic accidents imo.

Commiserations to connections.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

I generally don’t like the permanent switch from one discipline to the other. It just can’t work properly. You either jump fences or hurdles.
    There are no open ditches over hurdles and that’s where he fell yesterday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Very sorry to have this confirmed (thanks though!). R.I.P. Night In Milan

Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

Very sorry to have this confirmed (thanks though!). R.I.P. Night In Milan

BUT HOW??? He was okay after running loose with them.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Thank god for Fely.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4170

Is his death such a secret? I mean he was perfectly okay after the race when he ran loose in front of the stands. So why did he die?

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

I’m sure his death isn’t a secret just perhaps the trainer and owner forgot to let you know

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Really sad to hear this news about the wonderful Night In Milan.

I am sure there is no cover up, and the horse’s connections may not feel like making a big display of such a sad event. That said, as the news is clearly in the public domain, you would think that the death of such a popular and high profile chaser ought to merit a story on the Racing Post website. Apologies to them if there has been one, but I didn’t learn of his passing until visiting here.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.