The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nicky McKay and the Southwell stewards

Home Forums Horse Racing Nicky McKay and the Southwell stewards

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I realise that Mikky has already started a thread on this matter, but I couldn’t help but post again after reading Nicky McKay’s interview as published by the Racing Post. In it McKay states:

“…I’ve ridden the horse to get the trip and it barely stays the trip…what the public don’t know is, as I’m sitting there, it’s not with a double handful…”

The whole basis of McKay’s defence is that the horse doesn’t stay the twelve furlong trip over which today’s race was run and, it would seem, the stewards agreed with him. Did it not occur to them to look back in the horse’s form, where it clearly shows that he has won over the trip five times (twice at Southwell), been a running on second/third/fourth/fifth on a number of occasions and in better races? And as one of those closing runs was only last July, albeit in the care of Paul Blockley, is it not conceivable that McKay was simply trying to pull a fast one?

Sorry, make that succeeding at pulling a fast one.

The stewards said that he couldn’t be tried under the manoeuvring too late as a result of serious misjudgement or inattention rule, but I’m struggling to see how they arrived at that decision. McKay has taken no less than four looks over his right shoulder, one of which must have lasted for a few seconds, without once checking to his left. The eventual winner has built up momentum and has already passed Bethany’s Boy before McKay decides to ride out the finish. Given that he only went for the whip inside the final furlong, how can he have been deemed to have reacted in time? The winner didn’t pull further clear when supposedly challenged, having already got himself to the lead, so where’s the justification in blaming a lack of stamina for such an abismal display?

Incidents such as this only go to lower the image of racing further and to have it effectively endorsed by the stewards is beyond ridiculous.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

"…I’ve ridden the horse to get the trip and it barely stays the trip…"

In the interests of balance:

a) The new Southwell surface is significantly more dense than the last time Bethany’s Boy won over 1m 4f here.

b) Bethany’s Boy has run six times at Southwell at 1m 4f. His two wins over that trip came in, perhaps, the worst seller ever run at the Rolleston track. It wasn’t a hard race to win. Every challenger in the race packed it in early and he was travelling so slowly in the final furlong it was like watching someone running in a dream. The other win was by a fast-diminishing neck and came at a time when Southwell was riding as fast as an ice rink.
    c) It is significant that all his wins at Wolverhampton over that trip came before January 2006, when the surface was, again, like an ice rink.

I think Bethany’s Boy, on balance, just about gets 1m 4f, but not at Southwell on a slow track. While it didn’t look good, Nicky Mackay was telling the truth here, LGR, I think.

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Whatever way you look at it Nicky Mackay didn’t "throw" the race, he simply made an error of judgment which looked bad at the time and in any case how are we to know if he’d have actually won the race had he noticed Global Traffic on the inside? Once he saw the horse on the inside he tried to respond but his horse found nothing so the outcome may have been the same.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Kwai.
    I more or less posted exactly what Mckay said on the other thread not knowing the man had spoke to the press……I said that he was holding the horse together and he found nothing off the bridle. So obviously I am going to disagree with you. The guy told it exactly as it was and too right he should not be punished.

Go back and watch the race again mate and come back and tell me when he scooted anywhere.

The horse was on the bridle and the horses you are talking about were back peddling or bouncing up and down on the same spot. McKay was riding his horse as gently as he could to get the trip.

The second he asked the horse to go he fell in a heap and found less than Harchibald would on a bad day………it’s as plain as the nose on your face that horse would not have won that race no matter what McKay had done. He’s lost ground when he started chasing the winner not gained an inch….had he kicked for home coming of the turn what do you think would have happened………exactly the same thing as the other horse was allready right up his backside and would have still shot past him.

The gentleman above has explained that the horse doesn’t stay on a slow surface but no matter what you chose to ignore what was an excellenet analysis which falls in again what McKay said.

Try finding a yard learn to ride and then you might realise that horses are not machines. They’re quirky as hell and the skill required to judge the best thing to do in a race is one of the most difficult jobs imagainable and not something you should try at home as you might fall off the couch. :lol:

I look on the brightside…if the winner hadn’t have been in the race Mckay would have looked like he won with a ton and hand………we would have all thought he was a good thing next time out and probably got our fingers burned……at least we know the horse doesn’t stay the trip on a slow surface which may reap benefits later…….BTW I do enjoy most of your posts but not on subjects you obviously lack practical experience in.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Totally agree with Maxilon and FoF here.
    Southwell’s 12f is a totally different stamina test to Wolverhampton’s, and the horse’s form over this c/d, (Apart from his win on a fast surface) isn’t worth a hatful of crabs.
    The fibresand surface always rides slower after any dry spell – Godfrey Street, who set a new track record 2 weeks ago, won, all out, over the same 5f, 2 seconds slower today with 8lbs less on his back – and the horse simply did not last home.
    Like several other supposed ‘non-triers’ flagged up on this forum, the last thing any sensible jockey would do to throw a race would be to take up the lead in the closing stages, and then deliberately let another pass him.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Fist (sorry to disagree),

It’s not about whether the horse would have won, it’s not about whether the horse would have got the trip – the aspect of the race that incensed everyone (you are by far in the minority by the way, judging on public response) was the fact that he completely misjudged the situation.

He was on the bridle (holding the horse together or not) sat motionless, while he was constantly looking over his right shoulder, and not once paying any attention to the left.

Nobody can come on here and conclusively say that Bethany’s Boy failed to stay once Mackay got serious. Nobody can come on here and conclusively say that Bethany’s Boy emptied when Mackay got serious – and nobody can come on here and conclusively say that Bethany’s Boy would have lost if Mackay had spotted the other horse coming when it was three length down.

Like KCC has pointed out, Bethany’s Boy went further clear of the third and fourth once he was asked a question, than he was at the stage when he was travelling on the bridle. The reason that the other horse won was because when Mackay noticed it was there, it was already going past and had the momentum – Mackay had less than a furlong to respond and I’m afraid low grade horses just don’t quicken at the end of 1m 4f sufficiently to catch a horse that had the momentum and was away and gone.

I’ll throw this queston to you. When Mackay was looking to his right two furlong out – if he’d have seen those horses to his right come at him (instead of trailing in his wake), would he have gone for the stick on his horse? The answer in my opinion is yes – why would he sit motionless when two horses are about to come and pass him?

The fact that he didn’t go for the whip when he was looking to the right was because he had those horses to his right beat. So now imagine the same situation if he’d have looked to his left two furlong out and saw the winner coming at him. Would he have gone for the stick? Yes he would – why would he sit motionless when a horse is about to challenge and go by?

Therefore the fact that he didn’t look to his left (believing nobody to be there) means he completely misjudged the situation and never gave the horse the best chance of winning.

In a way I’m glad he hasn’t been banned because I think the public response towards this will be sufficient to teach the lad a lesson. He has probably made every horse related forum in the country. He has been the subject of conversation on ATR since it happened. He has appeared on the RP website, and I have no doubts he will be featured heavily in tomorrow’s press. Sorry, but you don’t get that sort of attention when you just hold a horse up to get a trip and get ran out of things.

Sorry for the long post :D

Mike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.