The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nick Mordin Blogs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5899

He just updated his website with new blogs on King george and irish racing as well.What your thoughts on what he says.

<!– w –>http://www.nickmordin.com<!– w –>

robertobrobertob
    • Total Posts 31

He has a column in The Irish Field every week and It’s actually one of the reasons why I buy the paper. It’s always interesting to read and I really like his approach. Didn’t know his blog yet but thanks for the link.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

He’s wonderful at spotting class horses.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

He seems to divide opinion between those who think he has an approach which is of genuine interest and those who think it’s all smoke and mirrors.

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 664

He seems to divide opinion between those who think he has an approach which is of genuine interest and those who think it’s all smoke and mirrors.

I come down on the side of "genuine interest". I have kept in touch with his writing for quite a few years now, and it seems that he does try to look at things from a different perspective. I suppose that makes him a quirky or odd character, racing-wise, (I do not know him personally), and some people do not like quirky.

How can you not like someone as generous as he is with his racing information blog? He seems to have gone to the trouble of somehow identifying points on all the major courses that allow him to do sectional timing, and calculate the exact length of races when starting positions and running rails have been moved. Thats a lot of work. And then he puts the nuggets of analysis in front of joe public for free (Although he does charge for routine speed ratings). For a while now he has specialized in identifying races that are much better than some might appreciate.

I just looked back at what he said about the Swettenham Stud Fillies Trial last May – because I read it at the time and consequently backed Dancing Rain for the Oaks. Here are a few snippets from quite a lengthy analysis.

"The clock says that the Swettenham Stud Fillies Trial at Newbury was that rarest of races; a Classic trial with two genuinely top class horses. (Dancing Rain and Izzi Top)

I suggested after her last run that Dancing Rain was the one to beat in the Oaks. And until this race no Oaks candidate had bettered the rating of 38 I awarded her that day. Now she’s gone and run a bit faster.

This leaves Dancing Rain as the Oaks candidate to take from the race. She’s now earned the two top speed ratings I’ve given all the Oaks entrants. So I think the general 25-1 you can get about her for the Oaks is plain crazy. As I see it she should be favourite. "

Dancing Rain and Izzi Top finished first and third in the Oaks.

Of course, he is far from being perfect, but he is always a good read, and it is always worth noting what he says. Quirky but genuinely interesting.

I am pleased to be able to say on TRF that I am talking through my pocket, but not about a jockey, and not in a negative way.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.