The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nichols Canyon

Home Forums Memorials Nichols Canyon

Viewing 11 posts - 18 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Why has this thread been reported for inappropriate content?

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

I don’t know, but it doesn’t matter anyway.

It was hard to believe that Windsor Park beat him in that day in the Neptune. But at Aintree, Ruby rode him differently, more aggressively from the front, instead of holding him up like he did at Cheltenham.

He was very genuine and never ran a bad race against the best stayers around. Sadly, his only falls and unseats came at this venue where he lost his life today.

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 302

Geez Ruby, do you sit and wait for this sort of thing to happen?

Perhaps it was the excitement, or competition to be the first with a high profile horse, because he’d barely hit the ground before you’d got this up.

Just picturing it.

Whoops, he’s down.
    Yep, staying down.
    Start typing.

Wait….wait….wait….wait…..(impatiently drumming fingers)

Confirmation by TV presenter.
    OK…SUBMIT!!!

Amazing…….somewhat sad, but truly amazing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13253

I don’t know what you are trying to achieve by a post like that Griff, but you are well
    out of order. Perhaps by the morning you will have had time to reflect on your
    insensitivity, and retract your cynical attack on someone who is well known on here
    for their genuine concern on the welfare of horses.

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 302

I think most people on this forum have a genuine concern for horse welfare, they just don’t feel the need to document the demise of every horse or criticize owners, trainers, jockeys, racecourses from a position of ‘higher authority’.

Most may not like to see the loss of a horse either on the track or off, but accept it as part of the sport. If that isn’t acceptable, then perhaps badminton should be an alternative option, rather than watching the incidents on replays to analyze for ‘expert’ comment afterwards.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

This is his usual reaction on my posts. The problem still is that we lost a high profile NH horse and that no one understands why the flight in the straight wasn’t bypassed as it was in the previous two races. I think the sun was an issue almost the entire raceday. And even Min might have drifted because of the sun.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13253

Griff, if people wish to express their opinion on what they believe to be the cause of a tragedy, and
    if you wish to see disagree with their reasoning, I have absolutely no problem with that. Whether I
    agree with either is irrelevant and it’s none of my business. I thought that your comments went a good
    deal further than disagreeing, they were very personal, and that’s why I did comment. I don’t believe
    that either of you were anything other than greatly saddened by the tragedy of losing a great racehorse,
    but I think suggesting Ruby was commenting for some perverse gratification of being the first to bring it
    to the forum was unwarranted.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

I didn’t see the race as I was out, but noticed Nichols Canyon being mentioned on Twitter so came onto the forum to see what had happened. I was grateful for Ruby’s timely post (and the one by LD73 which was, incidentally, posted at exactly the same time).

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Only my perception but Ruby appears to me to have made efforts to tone down the content of his posts over the last few months and is entitled to his opinion which, whether I agree or not, is always clearly showing compassion for the horse.

So really do we need to have such unsavoury comments made about him? Or for that matter anyone else who’s comment you don’t like?

It’s Nichols Canyon who is the subject here, Nichols Canyon who is important. A game, brave little horse who didn’t deserve this. So that’s who the comments should be about, not once again diluting a thread with stupid, uncalled for childishness.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

Two threads in memory of Nichols Canyon shows how much he was loved.

Griff11 you obviously care about horses as does Ruby a regular contributor here on Memorials.

A simple RIP NIchols Canyon says a lot in respect of this wonderful little horse but a please don’t bring this Memorial thread down with petty observations which serve no purpose and undermine the hurt that Ruby was obviously feeling at
    the time of the sad incident..

I still can’t believe we won’t be seeing him again.. :cry:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Thanks Jac and also thanks to the rest for being so supportive. The bad thing is that we lost a very talented horse and a lot of forumites paid their respect – either on this or on JD73’s thread, the good thing is that at least Faugheen and the other Mullins fallers (Sharjah and Real Steel) returned in one piece and live to fight another battle.

Viewing 11 posts - 18 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.