The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nichols Canyon

Home Forums Memorials Nichols Canyon

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

What a stupid death!!!! Incredible!!!!
    They bypassed the hurdle in the straight in the first two races, but not in this one.
    Hate to say this, but no way this death is acceptable. A Stayers race with 2 fewer hurdles to jump would have been as exciting as it already was.

Rest in Peace Nichols Canyon! Just a sad day today with already 4 fatalities…

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

He got up, but the screens were around him….. Just hoping the best for him!

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2518

so sad fatal fall

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3142

RIP to a proper little warrior – so sad.

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2518

some sad people on betfair having a pop at the jockey

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

The hurdle should have been bypassed as in the previous two races….

Participant
    • Total Posts 2833

Awful news

Watched the race. Didn’t think the fall looked tooo bad. So sad.

RIP Nichols Canyon

Participant
    • Total Posts 2039

So sad, always a real trier

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3142

He just took off too early and as a result his feet landed in thetop of the flight and not over the otherside of it – would probably have to hear what Townend says as to whether it was an issue with the sun (maybe just one of those unfortunate things as the others didn’t seem to have an issue jumping it).

Participant
    • Total Posts 960

Horrible news.

The fall seemed identical to Sharjah’s yesterday. As with yesterday they omitted the last flight in the first two races and then reinstated it for the next race which led to the problems we’ve seen.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

I feel physically sick with all the fatalities that have happened today LD and poor little Nichols Canyon what a sad day for everyone concerned.

As much as I try to get more interested in the jumping side of racing again since the loss of One Man and Synchronised made me decide to concentrate more on the flat, it is days like these that remind me how fragile these beautiful horses are and how they become a precious part of your life.

Goodbye little fella, just devastated by this news and thoughts are with all who loved and cared for you. :cry:

RIP Nichols Canyon
    :cry:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

Such a sad day :cry: absolutely devasted.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3142

It is always the grooms that I feel for the most as they pretty much spend every day with the horse – yes sadly fatalities is something you see more often over jumps and whilst you never get used to it you tend to process/view it as an occupational hazzard and at some point the law of averages comes into effect.

For me I am slighty more affected when it happens to a flat horse as for some reason (even though I know better) you just don’t think that it could happen when a horses is just galloping as opposed to jumping hurdles and fences.

Can’t imagine what it is like to be going home in the horsebox with an empty slot and then an empty box in the yard….condolences to all.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

This has been a horrible day all round. 6 confimred dead with one more possible. RIP every one. :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6320

What a bloody shame!!
    I have followed this horse since JHG had him and will miss him :cry: :cry:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I remember Nichols Canyon winning the race where stablemate Allez Colombiers was favourite and rumoured to be Mullin’s best novice hurdler. Sadly, my ante-post bet for Cheltenham was gone when the ex French horse went wrong after two flights and was fatally injured.

Nichols Canyon was a good winner and it left me wondering how good the other fellow might have been.

I went in on Nichols Canyon for Cheltenham the following spring, where he was 3rd and then got paid back at Aintree. He never quite scaled the heights I felt he might but he wasn’t far away and was a canny horse. A real sad loss but I’ll never forget that day at Aintree when he came there swinging on the bit two out and my ante-post slip started going strangely stiff in my front pocket.

Thanks for the memories mate. :cry:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3484

Brutal, will be missed.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.