The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Newmarket’s Going

Home Forums Horse Racing Newmarket’s Going

Viewing 3 posts - 18 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

Lightning quick ground at Newmarket.

I don’t think it is very firm David, probably predominately good-firm but there’s a strong tail wind. What it does show is those on this thread totally against watering have once again been proven wrong.

GT – Personally I have nothing against watering provided a safe, fast, racing surface is the result.

Overwatering and inaccurate going descriptions given by Clerks of the Course that should know better are different matters entirely.

There’s a fine line between watering and overwatering. An experienced CoC should know the difference.

Explain this away to Mr Trainer who has sent his horses on the 600 mile round trip to Ayr who declares his soft ground horses to find out the going has changed to good within 36 hours. Will he return the following year and support the meeting? If I were him I’d think twice about it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33013

What it does show is those on this thread totally against watering have once again been proven wrong.

No it doesn’t, what about Musselburgh yesterday?

Of course mistakes happen Yeats. Miss Mussleborough seems to make more mistakes than most. However, I am in favour of watering to maintain good-firm ground. Of course if the weather forecasters (experts) get it wrong and it rains heavily, then the ground will be softer than it would’ve been without watering. But that shouldn’t happen often and is (imo) preferable to not watering when there is no rain forecast and it being very firm.

Judged by times (even allowing for the tail wind) – had they not watered at Newmarket what would the ground have been? Despite being good-firm yesterday Sole Power came within 0.21 of the track record. So without watering – the going would probably have been Firm, possibly verging on hard places. Is that what we want for the first Classics?

As Oasis says, It’s a fine line between the right and wrong decision Yeats. I’ve criticised over-watering in the past. Just think they get it right more often than not.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33013

Lightning quick ground at Newmarket.

I don’t think it is very firm David, probably predominately good-firm but there’s a strong tail wind. What it does show is those on this thread totally against watering have once again been proven wrong.

GT – Personally I have nothing against watering provided a safe, fast, racing surface is the result.

Overwatering and inaccurate going descriptions given by Clerks of the Course that should know better are different matters entirely.

There’s a fine line between watering and overwatering. An experienced CoC should know the difference.

Explain this away to Mr Trainer who has sent his horses on the 600 mile round trip to Ayr who declares his soft ground horses to find out the going has changed to good within 36 hours. Will he return the following year and support the meeting? If I were him I’d think twice about it.

I totally agree with all of that Oasis. In fact, if you look on the Scottish National thread I made the same point myself. Inacurate going reports put not only trainers but also punters away too. After such a long trip connections of a horse that needs soft ground may be encouraged to run on (for a particular horse) unsafe ground.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 3 posts - 18 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.